New build: Need some advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctopus

Beta member
Hello everyone,

I would like some advice on a computer I want to build. My intention is to play games such as Diablo 3 and Path of Exile at a 1280x1024 resolution. here are the components:

PSU: Corsair CX500 V2 500W Builder Series
Case: NOX Cyclops
RAM: Corsair Value Select DDR3 1333 4GB 2x2GB CL9

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Quad-Core Black Edition
Mobo: Asus M5A88-M AM3+
OR------------
CPU: Intel Core i3 2120 3.3Ghz Box Socket 1155
Mobo: Asus P8H67-M LE B3

I have a Seagate SATA-II 3Gb/s that came with a Dell computer that I own, I was planning to format it and install a retail version of windows 7 64bit.
Also I have the optical drive that came with the same Dell, and an Nvidia Geforce GT220. I am aware that the graphics card is old and would like some opinion as to wheter or not it would run those games at least in minimun performance.

I have been recommended the i3 more than the Phenom, and from the internet I've found some comparisons for similar processors and it seems the i3 outperforms the Phenom when it comes to gaming, but an extra opinion is always welcome, just to make sure.

Finally I'd like to know if 500W PSU is enough for this computer, and if so (taking into account that I want to upgrade the GPU as soon as I can) which GPU would you reccomend for it?

Thank you in advance.

Personally I have used both CPU's and the i3 does way better than the AMD gaming wise. Seems Intel is stepping their game up these days. And you can never go wrong with a Asus motherboard :) As for the GPU...it will do those games...just not very well...at all. I have been building budget rigs for about 10 years now and the best bang for the buck I have found was the MSI Radeon HD 5770 Hawk. That GPU is a monster and wont break your wallet($150ish). But you need a PSU with a 6pin PCI for it. Like any decent GPU really. And using older parts on a build isn't something I would recommend. But depending on the age of them, it might be ok temporarily. [h=1][/h]

Personally I have used both CPU's and the i3 does way better than the AMD gaming wise. Seems Intel is stepping their game up these days. And you can never go wrong with a Asus motherboard :smile: As for the GPU...it will do those games...just not very well...at all. I have been building budget rigs for about 10 years now and the best bang for the buck I have found was the MSI Radeon HD 5770 Hawk. That GPU is a monster and wont break your wallet($150ish). But you need a PSU with a 6pin PCI for it. Like any decent GPU really. And using older parts on a build isn't something I would recommend. But depending on the age of them, it might be ok temporarily.

Thank you for your response, I was beggining to think my thread was gonna get lost in time :sweat:
The GPU is only 1 year old, I got it completely new as a gift from my brother who didn't really have any use for it. Since I have it I have been able to play low demanding games like Team fortress 2, Left for dead 1 & 2, Dead space, The Witcher, Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood and even Alien vs Predator 2010, I must say it has done it's job pretty well and I was hoping it would run those games I mentioned in my first post, but it will have to do until I get a better GPU. I couldn't find the GPU you mentioned, the store where I'm planning to buy doesn't have it, but I have set my eyes on the Asus GeForce GTX 550 Ti DirectCU 1GB GDDR5 (115€) and the MSI Radeon HD 7750 OC 1GB GDDR5 (114€). I have no idea which manufacturer is better, the Gt220 I have is from XFX, I've read EVGA is a good one, but I'd like to read opinions from more experienced people.

I found a 600W PSU (Corsair CX600 V2 600W Builder Series) for just 1€ more. It does have those PCI 6pin connectors you talk about, but is 2 enough? I have no idea which componentes use which connectors, I have to read about it.

Connectors:
  • 1 x ATX 24 & 20-pin
  • 1 x EPS / ATX 12V pin 8-4
  • 2 x 6-pin PCIE
  • 6 x SATA
  • 4 x 4-pin peripheral
  • 1 x Floppy
cor600cx.jpg

Is it enough for this buld?

I have noticed both the PSU and the case I am planning to get are ATX, however the mobo is mATX. The case supports mATX, but I dont know if the PSU will burn the mobo or there is no problem at all with using it (?).

Depending on what you want to upgrade to GPU wise, the 600w Corsair will be fine. That is of course if you don't go crazy like a 680 or something.

Another vote for the i3 here. Stock for stock the i3 is faster and you don't exactly need a quad for gaming yet.

Haha I won't get a 680 for this build, I believe the GTX 550 is enough for it.
Thank you for your reponse :smile:

Everything you have listed is acceptable for Diablo III at that resolution. Go with Intel though. AMD is not there yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom