Video card noise too loud... Buy new cooling or a new card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcbraulio

Baseband Member
Hello everyone,

Six years ago (2/23/2006, I had another account name at the time), with the help of this forum and its incredibly knowledgeable users, I built a gaming computer that until this day shows no sign of slowing down (05/22/2012). Thank you!

Here are the specs:
1 x BIOSTAR TForce4U 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard
1 x EVGA 256-P2-N389-AX GeForce 6800GS 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card
1 x AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 2.2GHz Socket 939 Single-Core Processor ADA3700BNBOX
1 x Kingston ValueRAM 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit Memory
1 x Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive
1 x JPAC Vodoo BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply (Power supply switched to a ACE-580UB 580W ATX12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Power Supply in 2009)

I recently decided to relocate this computer to my work office and a few of my co-workers seem to be bothered by its somewhat noticeable noise. My case and powersupply fans are very quiet. The cpu and bios fans are tolerable, what is making a ruckus is the GPU's fan (Newegg.com - EVGA 256-P2-N389-AX GeForce 6800GS 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card). So my questions are:

Should I replace my graphics card or buy a silent Zalman cooler for it?(Newegg.com - ZALMAN VF900 - CU LED 2 Ball VGA Cooling Fan/Heatsink)

I am assuming that at this point it would be smarter to buy a new card since video cards in the $42 range (price of the Heatsink) seem to be better than my current one. I don't plan to game with this computer, the only heavy things that I do are a bit of video editing and the use of multiple screens. The video card temperature is around 65 degrees.

Let me know your thoughts, thank you.

I used a variation of this one for years on my s939 4200+ X2:
Newegg.com - ZALMAN CNPS9500A-LED 92mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler

For less you can go with tis and get just as good cooling:
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Hyper TX3 RR-910-HTX3-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" 92mm CPU Cooler

If you could remember your old username I can merge the accounts.

Thank you for the suggestions, I think the Cooler Master one will do just fine. As for the old username, I really don't remember what it was, but you can look for "MarceloNJ", "Gatodanetnj", or "DJMB" in the database. If any of those come up, it's mine.

Thank you for the suggestions, I think the Cooler Master one will do just fine. As for the old username, I really don't remember what it was, but you can look for "MarceloNJ", "Gatodanetnj", or "DJMB" in the database. If any of those come up, it's mine.

It was "MarceloNJ". i merged it with your new account, so your username and password did not change. If you would rather have your old name just let me know via PM and I can fix ya right up.

It's good to see some s939's still in service. Those were the chips that kicked Intel in the 'nads and made them actually try to innovate instead of continuing to coast.

It was "MarceloNJ". i merged it with your new account, so your username and password did not change. If you would rather have your old name just let me know via PM and I can fix ya right up.
Thank you =] I'll just stick with this username.

It's good to see some s939's still in service. Those were the chips that kicked Intel in the 'nads and made them actually try to innovate instead of continuing to coast.
Deff, it was great at the time and it still seems to be performing quiet well on my pc. Now we'll just see how much longer it lasts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom