is it worth upgrading my ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most cards come with the plugs that go from the card into the molex nowadays. DDR3 is dirt cheap but not worth it in your case. I'd buy a new game or two :)

Most cards come with the plugs that go from the card into the molex nowadays. DDR3 is dirt cheap but not worth it in your case. I'd buy a new game or two :)
Every GPU I've ever had has come with a big message on card roughly saying 'DO NOT USE MOLEX TO PCI ADAPTORS!'.
Never explains why, though; I'm guessing it can't provide enough current compared to PCI.

Every GPU I've ever had has come with a big message on card roughly saying 'DO NOT USE MOLEX TO PCI ADAPTORS!'.
Never explains why, though; I'm guessing it can't provide enough current compared to PCI.

It's literally the same thing. If it came with that message then why would video cards ship with those molex adapters?

I've never had a GPU that comes with the adaptor, either.

Isn't Molex 4-pin? If so then they're not simply the same thing, since PCI-E is 6-pin. I'm guessing there's an issue there that Molex can't draw enough current to equivalently match the maximum draw of the PCI-E connector, but that would still be fine for lower-end GPUs.

I've never had a GPU that comes with the adaptor, either.

Isn't Molex 4-pin? If so then they're not simply the same thing, since PCI-E is 6-pin. I'm guessing there's an issue there that Molex can't draw enough current to equivalently match the maximum draw of the PCI-E connector, but that would still be fine for lower-end GPUs.
My 580 came with 2 adapters (6 and 8), my 465 came with 1, my 280s came with 2 a piece, ect. The adapters are 1 6 or 8 pin to dual 4pin molex. It is drawing current from 2 different connectors for a single connector. On a single or dual rail PSU it would be the same as the 12v source is the same.

im planing on doing sli by Christmas. im going to start saving up more so im not broke wen i do lol. ill most likely put on my amazon tab. im going to do it with better cards tho well see whats on sale then got to be ready for crysis 3. i heard they going to bring it.

You can upgrade if you run large applications on your computer and another apart from the ram you need to have good hard disk too

i mostly do gaming. i have a SSD as main for windows and programs. i install all my games on my secondary 1TB drive. i do have a first gen 17 quad 3.7, with 12GB ddr3 ram not the fastest ram but my SSD makes up for that. GTX 560 2GB ddr5, corsair 650 watt psu. over all my pc runs anything i tried to. i think i can max out batterfield 3 haven't tried to but it automatically sets it to almost ultra only a few options aren't on ultra. im going to see about getting a new psu and sli 2 nice cards by the end of the year let the prices drop with the new gtx680 hitting the market we should see card drop a bit. ohh i recently got a carbide 500R white pc case love it i recommend it. the cable management is so easy on this case u cant be bad at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom