Computer Constantly crashing/freezing. First post go easy on me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

photikz

Solid State Member
I'm currently at work, for my dad, and the computer we have here I swear should be running better than what it is.

This is my first post here, so if I haven't done everything right please go easy on me! I tried looking into a couple of the stickies, so I got CPU-Z, and I'm posting the stats.

The problem is that it literally freezes up at any moment at any time. We have Carbonite installed (I don't know why, I don't even like it) and have found that to be a resource hog so we've disabled that and it seemed to work for awhile. Now we're getting complete freezing to the point of hard powering down. We do get the hourglass when opening programs and browsing the internet at times, but disabling Carbonite has seemed to help that tremendously.

Whatever I've left out I'll definitely get with no problems, just let me know!

Specs:

Processor Specification: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1055T Processor
Processor Code Name: Thuban
Core Speed: 802.71 (goes from .68 to .72)
FSB - I don't see this on CPU-Z (is it the field that says multiplier? if so it changes from 4.0 to 7.2)
Speed - 200.7 MHz

Mainboard Tab:

Motherboard Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
Motherboard Model: M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3
Graphic Interface Version: PCI-Express
Graphic Interface Transfer Rate: Doesnt say in CPU-Z?

Memory Tab:

Type: DDR3
Size: 8192 MBytes
Frequency: 2006.8 (changes from .7 to .8)

What else can I leave to help out? I'm all ears at this point as this has been acting up for about a year now. I can't even install a game on here, it freezes up what few games I've tried (I really only game at home, for obvious reasons :p, but I've still wanted to try this beast out at times and failed)

Please help! Thanks :)

DirectX Version: 11

Display Properties:

Device Name: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
Device Chip Type: ATI Display Adapter (0x68B8)
Device Approx. Total Memory: 753MB

Drivers:

Main Driver: aticfx64.dll, aticfx64.dll, aticfx64.dll,a (why does it repeat itself over and over?)
Version: 8.961.0.0

have you looked at background processes to see what may be causing an issue? usually when this happens it indicates an infection, rather than a hardware/software problem.

Well, it does with regular consumers anyway. Also check start up items to see if anything shouldnt be there. (run > type msconfig, startup pane)

i havent seen the hourglass in years O.O

I'm not seeing anything I don't recognize, however that doesn't mean there isn't something running that shouldn't be.

Also new developments, the motherboard can flash red and shut the computer down at any time, and on startup I sometimes get a solid red light followed by nothing but silence, other times it may go off and the computer then boots on its own. It's completely random as to what the computer is going to do when I hit the power button to turn it on.

Hey there. I'm a newbie to the forums, but I have had this kinda problem before on one of my builds. The problem ended up being the motherboard shorting out. One of the mounts was touching the frame causing it to shut itself down. Maybe you have something loose somewhere that is causing this. I would take it apart and check everything out...making sure nothing it loose and nice and tight when you put it all back. If everything is correct physically, then I would say that something has gone bad on your motherboard causing it to shut down into a emergency mode. Hints that red light on your motherboard. Asus boards are real good about doing that.

Thanks for the reply!

I'm going to take the side off the case in a little while and look in and see what I can find. I do not feel comfortable taking apart anything on this computer though, and I even more so do not want my dad doing it. I came over a year ago to try and put a new fan and heatsink in our old computer and that ended up with more paste on the mobo than the heatsink, and fists pounding the desks over and over.

I personally would rather find someone decent that knows what they're doing and bring it to them, but that's even hard. We had a guy come over a year ago and look at this same computer I'm talking about, and all he did was install an anti-virus program and charged us like 40 bucks for absolutely nothing. I felt ripped off at the time but kept my mouth shut. I won't let that happen again if I can help it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom