New Radeon 5670 - Signs of overheating.. yet not overclocked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eskolas

Solid State Member
Heya there.

Got a fresh out-of-the-box Radeon HD 5670. Within a day or two, noticed that display just went unresponsive at random intervals. In other games (Diablo 3/Anno 2070) infrequently yielded artifacts and garbled imagery.

The clock settings are completely stock and out of the box. Its mind boggling that the card keeps failing, when it is far from overclocked or taxed. The fan/cooler seem to be working just fine as well.

This is the 512meg version.. my brother has the 1Gig or similar and he runs D3 max settings without worry. This is an HIS card with no auxiliary power support (6 pin connector) and I have a very adequate 480watt psu.

I am concerned with a few possibilities:

1: Faulty VRAM
2: Complications running the 5670 with my mobo's hybrid crossfire capability.
3: Fan failing at irregular intervals?

To clarify, the programs do not "hang" or yield sound anomalies. You can hear sounds/music fine when the display goes to black.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Heya there.

Got a fresh out-of-the-box Radeon HD 5670. Within a day or two, noticed that display just went unresponsive at random intervals. In other games (Diablo 3/Anno 2070) infrequently yielded artifacts and garbled imagery.

The clock settings are completely stock and out of the box. Its mind boggling that the card keeps failing, when it is far from overclocked or taxed. The fan/cooler seem to be working just fine as well.

This is the 512meg version.. my brother has the 1Gig or similar and he runs D3 max settings without worry. This is an HIS card with no auxiliary power support (6 pin connector) and I have a very adequate 480watt psu.

I am concerned with a few possibilities:

1: Faulty VRAM
2: Complications running the 5670 with my mobo's hybrid crossfire capability.
3: Fan failing at irregular intervals?

To clarify, the programs do not "hang" or yield sound anomalies. You can hear sounds/music fine when the display goes to black.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

As an update, I've tried to replicate the incident to observe gpu temps.

When it next occurred, the temp read as a very stable 45 degrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom