why is my CPU in a giant black box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan7777

Baseband Member
Hi I'm wondering about a computer part this is the closest forum to ask about it.

Hi I just got a refurbished HP Compaq Business Desktop DC7800 (GC758AV). Opening it up I see this giant glossy black box attached to the mother board which I assume is the CPU. It's an Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33GHz. The thing is my last new PC (which I fried) has a more powerful CPU (duo 2.5) but looked much smaller with no giant box over it. I wondering what's all in there and if that is like an earlier version of the dual core CPU's. And what's with the giant enclosure? I took a photo but can't post attachments here.

I Especially want to know the disadvantages of an older big CPU in a box like that?
Would it be a good idea to unscrew this monster and replace it with a newer smaller CPU of simillar power?

I wonder because the CPU box has it's own fan the size of the PSU fan, and the Case had an extra cooling fan. I'm just wondering if the earlier dual core ran hotter and the current ones wouldn't run as hot.

Thanks Ryan.

The black plastic thing is for airflow control
The disadvantages of it being an older processor: doesn't run as cool, which is why that black thing is there.

Hi I'm wondering about a computer part this is the closest forum to ask about it.

Hi I just got a refurbished HP Compaq Business Desktop DC7800 (GC758AV). Opening it up I see this giant glossy black box attached to the mother board which I assume is the CPU. It's an Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33GHz. The thing is my last new PC (which I fried) has a more powerful CPU (duo 2.5) but looked much smaller with no giant box over it. I wondering what's all in there and if that is like an earlier version of the dual core CPU's. And what's with the giant enclosure? I took a photo but can't post attachments here.

I Especially want to know the disadvantages of an older big CPU in a box like that?
Would it be a good idea to unscrew this monster and replace it with a newer smaller CPU of simillar power?

I wonder because the CPU box has it's own fan the size of the PSU fan, and the Case had an extra cooling fan. I'm just wondering if the earlier dual core ran hotter and the current ones wouldn't run as hot.

Thanks Ryan.

That big black glossy plastic thing maybe in exhaust to make air flow away from the cpu outside of the back of the case.
Have you tried to turn it on and see what happens, also that cpu is abit slow than Q07 cpus.
Depending on what model motherboard you give me it maybe upgradable but you would a good compact heatsink with grease to keep cool on your new future cpu.

A core2quad maybe optional but I would need to look at some information before making that call to upgrade.

^Blast you fargle!! beat me to the post ;_;

That big black glossy plastic thing maybe in exhaust to make air flow away from the cpu outside of the back of the case.
Have you tried to turn it on and see what happens, also that cpu is abit slow than Q07 cpus.
Depending on what model motherboard you give me it maybe upgradable but you would a good compact heatsink with grease to keep cool on your new future cpu.

A core2quad maybe optional but I would need to look at some information before making that call to upgrade.

^Blast you fargle!! beat me to the post ;_;

@iFargle...so that mean it IS an older processor then? 'Cause I'm looking for confirmation that this is an older giant heat tank CPU or are these totally normal
and I'm over-reacting.

@Mike Techno Thug. I don't know what my mother board is I just know I got a*
*HP Compaq Business Desktop DC7800 (GC758AV). It didn't come with documentation. (am posting on another PC right now and will run a spec program on the Pc I'm talking about tommorow when I have access, if ur still around)
But like I said I don't want a more powerful CPU like a quad, just wondering about the same power only more currently made with a better heat sink if you think that makes sense, 'cause I'm just guessing.

Also, do you think I got ripped off if I paid $250 for this PC? 'Cause looking at this giant thing (with 2 extra fans it's so huge) I'm sort of looking for a reason to ask to return it. Unless you guys think it's not as old as it looks!

Thanks again.

Bro It Is use For Control Temp Of CPU... I Think This Box Control The Air Flow Of Fan Of CPU

@mike
Mother board data from Speccy. Don't know if this too much.

Motherboard
Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
Model 0AACh (XU1 PROCESSOR)
Chipset Vendor Intel
Chipset Model Q35
Chipset Revision A2
Southbridge Vendor Intel
Southbridge Model 82801IO (ICH9DO)
Southbridge Revision 02
System Temperature 51 °C
BIOS
Brand Hewlett-Packard
Version 786F1 v01.32
Date 07/21/2011
PCI Data
Slot PCI
Slot Type PCI
Slot Usage Available
Bus Width 32 bit
Slot Designation PCI1
Slot Number 0
Slot PCI
Slot Type PCI
Slot Usage Available
Bus Width 32 bit
Slot Designation PCI2
Slot Number 1
Slot PCI
Slot Type PCI
Slot Usage Available
Bus Width 32 bit
Slot Designation PCI3
Slot Number 2
Slot PCI-E
Slot Type PCI-E
Slot Usage Available
Bus Width Unknown
Slot Designation PCI EXPRESS x1 SLOT 1 (PCIEx1 1)
Slot Number 3
Slot PCI-E
Slot Type PCI-E
Slot Usage Available
Bus Width Unknown
Slot Designation PCI EXPRESS x1 SLOT 2 (PCIEx1 2)
Slot Number 4
Slot PCI-E
Slot Type PCI-E
Slot Usage Available
Bus Width Unknown
Slot Designation PCI EXPRESS x16 SLOT (PCIEx16)
Slot Number 5
Graphics
Monitor
Name Acer AL1913 on Intel Q35 Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.0)
Current Resolution 683x512 pixels
Work Resolution 683x475 pixels
State enabled, primary, output devices support
Monitor Width 1024
Monitor Height 768
Monitor BPP 32 bits per pixel
Monitor Frequency 75 Hz
Device \\.\DISPLAY1\Monitor0
Intel(R) Q35 Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.0)
Memory 256 MB
Memory type 2
Driver version 8.15.10.1749
OpenGL
Version 1.1.0
Vendor Microsoft Corporation
Renderer GDI Generic
GLU Version 1.2.2.0 Microsoft Corporation
Values
GL_MAX_LIGHTS 8
GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE 1024
GL_MAX_TEXTURE_STACK_DEPTH 10
GL Extensions
GL_WIN_swap_hint
GL_EXT_bgra
GL_EXT_paletted_texture
GL_EXT_bgra

Wouldn't want to put a more powerful CPU, just somwthing of comparable power (duo around the 2mhz area) that runs less hot if it's newer than the older original, if that's how that works. 'Cause I'm just guessing here.

You realize speed mesands little when vcomparing cpu's.

Intel made 3 different types of dual cores back then. Unless you can tell us the old model number, theres no way of telling which is better.

For the record, the only c2d at 2.5Ghz was a 1066mhz fsb and 3mb of cache. The E6550 is 1333mhz and 4mb cache... Even worse was a e5200 at 800mhz fsb.... ALL AT THE SAME TDP OF 65W.

Too me, the "Big box" cooler is ALOT better than the oem model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom