Hard Drive Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

marklight

Beta member
i have a maxtor 7200 rpm 80GB drive that i plugged into a serial ata by way of an adapter that plugs into the back of the HDD - i wanted to know if it would be quicker to just not use the serial ata adapter and just directly plug the HDD into the mother board by using the grey wire with the stripe down the side, or if i should continute using the serial ata adapter... here is a link to my pc mark 2002 score;

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6522031

I would imagine that a serial ata adapter would be neccessary if the drive or the mobo is serial ata and the other is not.

The connectors are different are they not?

here this might clear stuff up;
the HDD isnt serial ata compliant- i cant plug it into a serial ata slot directly... my mo board came with an adapter that fits into the back of the harddrive and lets me hook up the serial ata cord into the back of the harddrive and then it goes into a serial ata port.... i just want to know if using the serial ata adapter allows better harddrive performance or if i should just not use the adapter and plug the harddrive into the standard bus

if your hard drive is not serial ata, you won't get a performance boost by plugging it into the serial ata connector. your best bet is to plug it into the standard IDE connector

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom