$2000 AutoCAD/Solidworks Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

d0ntcar3

In Runtime
A coworker is wanting to build a solid machine for drafting work. Using AutoCAD and Solidworks etc. Will be some gaming. But mostly what i previously mentioned.

I am not familiar with building machines with this purpose so hopefully I can get some insight here.

DOES NOT NEED
OS
Monitor
Keyboard
Mouse
Powersupply

Thanks for the help!

CPU: $590 Intel i7 3930K
MB: $310 Asus P9X79 Pro
RAM: $235 32GB Mushkin Blackline 1600
HDD: $240 2TB Seagate Barracuda Green (x2 for RAID 1)
SSD: $210 240GB Mushkin Chronos
GPU: $320 EVGA GTX 570 2.5GB (needs 550W + 2x 6-pin connectors)
Case: $110 Fractal Design R3

Total = $2,015 without any price comparing, but still needs an optical drive (~$20).

Other options would be to get a workstation GPU like an AMD FirePro or Nvidia Quadro, however they will be terrible for gaming.
You could also go for an i7 3770K and Asus P8Z77-V Pro, which will cut down the price quite a bit. You'll lose a core and thread, but can get an aftermarket cooler and overclock a bit to make up for the loss.

The power supply is an 850w.

And I've never even heard of mushkin... and that ram has 0 reviews. What is your reasoning to picking that over something much more known an reliable? Same with SSD.

I've never even heard of mushkin... and that ram has 0 reviews. What is your reasoning to picking that over something much more known an reliable? Same with SSD.
Mushkin has been around for 18yrs, and I've yet to read a 3rd party review saying any of their products are bad. Personally use their DDR2 RAM and love it.
The reasoning behind buying Mushkin is simple, they make quality products at a competitive price.

I'm not sure which RAM companies are more "known an reliable" but you can get slower Corsair XMS or taller G.Skill options for $240 if it makes you feel better (link).

The SSD I understand not knowing Mushkin made them, they came late to the game, which gave them the benefit of learning from other's mistakes.
Hardware Secrets summed it up pretty well (link):
The Mushkin Chronos drive exhibited very good performance in our tests but ended up coming in slightly behind the OCZ Vertex 3
But again, if you're more comfortable with an OCZ, Crucial, Intel, etc... SSD then go for it, just giving my opinion on the best bang for your buck.

Not so much me. But it's fine with me. Also he just said he wants a video card with a mini display port on it. Any ideas on best options.

he wants a video card with a mini display port on it. Any ideas on best options.
Honestly there really aren't any good options.
Nvidia doesn't seem to support mini display ports, and for doing AutoCAD and SolidWorks you'll get more benefit from their CUDA cores AFAIK.

Gaming wise you can get an XFX HD 7850 or HIS HD 7870.
Neither will be competitive to an Nvidia card for rendering though, from what I understand. Pretty much goes: Nvidia Quadro, AMD FirePro, Nvidia GTX, AMD Radeon (HD).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom