New Build Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I got everything all set up, and found that the Mobo had 3 of 4 DIMM slots were bad. Found an identical post from a few weeks back at another forum saying only DIMM slot 2 was working. Same thing in my case. Sent it back yesterday for RMA. Hopefully the replacement comes soon.

I really can't fault a vendor for a bad one in a bunch. If the RMA is good, perfect. If the RMA is bad also, then we have issues.

First ever order from Newegg back in 2002, Antec TruePower 430 Power Supply was DOA. RMA worked like a charm

Got Patriot memory from Newegg in 2009, RMA'd it with Newegg 4 times, then they punted me to Patriot directly. They gave another 4 RMA's before I finally demanded they open the ram, and test it BEFORE shipping it to me, ended up lucking out, got a different batch, and it ran.... for a year. The bad sticks would SOMETIMES boot windows, and would fail MemTest86 within an hour. For this, I will NEVER do business with Patriot again.

My latest issue is with Gigabyte. I have different models on both my desktop and my wifes. They work perfectly, just irritated with the lack of a quick boot option on mine. Oh well. Should have done my homework when I got it all those years ago I suppose. Sucks having a laptop that boots 20 seconds faster than my desktop. LOL.

The new board came in a week ago, and I was able to get everything up and running without an issue. Unfortunately, with my brother living in Ohio, and me outside Chicago, I had to hand it off Sunday while he was in town. I got Windows 7 ultimate loaded, all the drivers and everything, MS Office '10, and a few random programs, but it still needs a bunch more things before it's 100% fully ready to go.

I goofed with the Blu Ray burner, and ended up getting an OEM drive, when my intention was to get a retail drive. Oh well, no biggie. I'm sure I can find some freeware, or cheap software that will work fine for him.

Also, I set up the same desktop gadgets that i use on my PC and laptop, and I didn't get CoreTemp installed, so the CPU gadget isn't reporting temps yet, but that isn't a biggie. The GPU gadget though, isn't working at ALL right now with the 6870. And come to think of it, my 4870 doesn't work to well with it either. I wonder if it just doesn't play well with ATI cards or what, because my laptops 8800M GTS reports perfectly, no issues at all.

The new board came in a week ago, and I was able to get everything up and running without an issue. Unfortunately, with my brother living in Ohio, and me outside Chicago, I had to hand it off Sunday while he was in town. I got Windows 7 ultimate loaded, all the drivers and everything, MS Office '10, and a few random programs, but it still needs a bunch more things before it's 100% fully ready to go.

I goofed with the Blu Ray burner, and ended up getting an OEM drive, when my intention was to get a retail drive. Oh well, no biggie. I'm sure I can find some freeware, or cheap software that will work fine for him.

Also, I set up the same desktop gadgets that i use on my PC and laptop, and I didn't get CoreTemp installed, so the CPU gadget isn't reporting temps yet, but that isn't a biggie. The GPU gadget though, isn't working at ALL right now with the 6870. And come to think of it, my 4870 doesn't work to well with it either. I wonder if it just doesn't play well with ATI cards or what, because my laptops 8800M GTS reports perfectly, no issues at all.
You don't need software for an optical drive.

Has Windows 7 built in burning software increased dramatically since Vista? I have burned some disc's with Vista on my laptop (Vista Home) before upgrading to (fresh install) Win 7 Ult, and Vista burning SUCKED. When I had XP on my desktop before switching to Win 7 Ult, and I used Nero (insert version here) that came with my last burner....

Any will it burn Blu Ray's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom