USB and Ethernet connections stopped working overnight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright thanks for everything! I'll go out to walmart after work and buy a cheap keyboard and maybe mouse too, and try to restore to a restore point from last week. If that doesn't work I'll reinstall the chipset.

My cheap PS/2 keyboard and mouse showed up today. Good news! They work. I was able to navigate to the device manager and observe a few error codes. They fall under Network Adapters, Sound/video and game controllers, and USB controllers, as expected. It would appear as if the drivers for all of these devices are no longer working. Now the bad news: I reinstalled the drivers, the motherboard chipset.... and it didn't work. The installs completed, and the error message persists. I tried restarting, no effect. I am going to look into a system restore next.

Well, crap: apparently I don't have any system restore points other than today. What else can I do?

I would also try suggesting removing the device from device manager, and choose the option to delete the drivers. Then reboot, and install drivers fresh. Sometimes drivers can become corrupted, and writing over them doesn't help because the corrupted file can stay.

I would also try suggesting removing the device from device manager, and choose the option to delete the drivers. Then reboot, and install drivers fresh. Sometimes drivers can become corrupted, and writing over them doesn't help because the corrupted file can stay.

Attempting this now, thank you

I attempted the remove/reinstall trick as suggested by carnageX and it's a no-go. I uninstalled the USB controllers and restarted, but when I run the install program it asks if I want to repair or modify my USB controller installation, so it must not have been completely removed. To verify that I checked device manager again and, despite deleting it before, a couple of the entries under USB Controllers are back (Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller x2).

I tried the same thing with my network adapter and it's basically the same.

What in the world is going on with this thing?

I assume the repair option didn't work?

If that doesn't work.. Well, I'd say try a system restore and see if that works.

Well, I'd say try a system restore and see if that works.

It's not an option :( Apparently I disabled system restore at some point because there are no restore points prior to today. Do I need to just format this thing?

Edit: and no, repair didn't seem to work

Lol I've done that to my system too.. Disabled System Restore.. I regretted doing it as well.

Are you getting the most updated drivers for the components, and not the ones from the CD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom