How individual core restarts in multicore ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maroom

Beta member
about processor

How individual core restarts in multicore ?

Help me in resolving this

Fighting with this question since two days

thanks in advance

Sorry
In multicore processors , it is mixed of 2 or 3 processors

So , each processor executes separately its own threads independently ..

In case there exists a problem where this processor has to restart and continue the execution of threads from previously aborted state..

this is what Iam asking , how Individual processors in multicore processors restarts ??

Sorry
In multicore processors , it is mixed of 2 or 3 processors

So , each processor executes separately its own threads independently ..

In case there exists a problem where this processor has to restart and continue the execution of threads from previously aborted state..

this is what Iam asking , how Individual processors in multicore processors restarts ??

A multi-core processor is one processor, with multiple cores on the same die. If I understand you correctly, you're asking what to do if the processor crashes? Is this in a PC, phone, console? In any case, if the CPU crashes, the system crashes. I'm going to assume you're talking about a PC for this. The processor doesn't actually store any data on it, it stores commonly accessed data (things it needs to get fast, on demand) on the RAM, and all other data on the hard drive/SSD. If your system has really low RAM, it will store things temporarily on the Page File on your hard drive. The only thing stored on the processor is in the cache. Here's a little explanation on cache:

A CPU cache is a cache used by the central processing unit of a computer to reduce the average time to access memory. The cache is a smaller, faster memory which stores copies of the data from the most frequently used main memory locations. As long as most memory accesses are cached memory locations, the average latency of memory accesses will be closer to the cache latency than to the latency of main memory.

When the processor needs to read from or write to a location in main memory, it first checks whether a copy of that data is in the cache. If so, the processor immediately reads from or writes to the cache, which is much faster than reading from or writing to main memory.

If you're talking about cores shutting down on your processor, then you have no issue. Modern day multi-core CPU's are designed to shut off cores when they are not needed, to save power and heat amongst other things. Let's assume you have a quad core CPU, like an i7. When you're just browsing the web or sitting on your desktop, the processor will shut off cores 1,2, and 3, and increase the speed of core 0 on demand. The processor shouldn't be shutting off cores when they are in use, and even if it did, you aren't going to lose data from that unless it crashes the system.

Exactly.. what I am expecting is this
thank you very much

Processor is in the Phone .

I am talking about cores. Core 1 ,2,3 has to restart when it is required right.. how it is going to happen ? ( How cores restart/shutdown ? )

What kind of phone? They don't "restart", per say. They shut off when not needed, and turn back on when they are. If your phone has a quad core CPU, it will very rarely need to use all four cores. My phone has a dual core and the 2nd core is off more often than not.

That is too true I haven't even heard of a phone that has quad core tech as it is way too powerful for a phone. Like said above 2 cores is MORE than enough :)

Quad Core phones are just breaking onto the market. The SGIII is another one to have it. But that is brand new technology and no one has it yet. So there is no way for anyone to know how the cores will operate.

As stated several times Cores do not restart. They just do not operate when not needed. Just like how new cares can turn off the gas engine and operate on electric when at a red light. Then go back to the gas engine when they excelerate.

It is the same principal. The core will not be active when not needed. Bit once it is needed to perform a request it will kick in.

CPU Cores do not restart.

Quad Core phones are just breaking onto the market. The SGIII is another one to have it. But that is brand new technology and no one has it yet. So there is no way for anyone to know how the cores will operate.

As stated several times Cores do not restart. They just do not operate when not needed. Just like how new cares can turn off the gas engine and operate on electric when at a red light. Then go back to the gas engine when they excelerate.

It is the same principal. The core will not be active when not needed. Bit once it is needed to perform a request it will kick in.

CPU Cores do not restart.

Thanks, Mak. Good comparison. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom