Comparing fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJYelton

Baseband Member
Sorry for asking such a newb question but I'm a little new to this.

Which would be generally be considered better at cooling a Sempron 2800+ when comparing two generic no-name brand cpu fans/heat sinks:

Combo #1: Fan Diameter 2.5 inches, 12 V, .1 A. Heat sink: Silver color with copper disk at bottom where it comes into contact with the CPU, 2.5" width, 3" length, 1.75" tall.

Combo #2: Fan Diameter 3 inches, 12 V, .14 A. Heat sink: Mirrored copper, 2.5" width, 2.75" length, 1" tall.

The reason I am asking is because I know obviously the stronger fan is better, and I'm pretty sure the mirrored copper material is better (although I could be wrong here!), but the fact that the heat sink in combo 1 is so much larger is confusing the issue.

I know that obviously the brand and quality come into play, so I'm just looking for a "Type A is usually better than Type B" answer.

stronger as in more power? i would look at stronger as in which fan pushes more air faster, which is not always the more powerful (electrically).

you could find a seperate heatsink with mirrored copper and then a seperate good fan to put on top of that heatsink to make sure you are getting exactly what you want.

Ok, but what I am really confused about is whether or not the smaller mirrored copper heatsink is usually better than the much larger aluminum heatsink with a copper inlay.

well, that's why you start looking for a bigger (say the size of the aluminum one) copper heatsink, that way, you know it's going to be better. then match that heatsink with a nice cpu fan and bam, you got a nice heatsink/fan combo that's just what you wanted and keeps your system nice n cool.

what socket is a sempron 2800? i'll try looking and see what i come up with, what's your price range? if you plan to spend enough, i would suggest a thermaltake or a coolermaster heatsink/fan combo. you can get a rocking combo for between 15-30 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom