Games Crashing when AC adapter/Mains power plugged in...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something isn't right here.....
If it has cut out 3 times during the test, your memory maybe failing.
I wish there was a way you could test that memory in another laptop that takes ddr2.
Once I can confirm its not working in any other system, that will have to be replaced.

I'm sorry your going through this, but its the only way we can get deep down to the source of the problem and get rid of it.
In the meanwhile provide me your laptop name and model number and current bios version so I can review somethings before I reply again.

Mike.

Hi there,
I was thinking the same since it cut out that much... I think on this laptop the memory is quite easy to get to, so would it help If I took one of the sticks out (assuming there's 2 2GB) and tried the memtest again? I'm not sure if my sisters old laptop takes DDR2, it is quite an old laptop and I'm not too sure if it works ok, but I could dig it out and see if it would work. Apart from that, we only have an old dell desktop computer.
Its ok, I'm just grateful for the help to try and finally get it fixed :)
Did you still want me to update the drivers for the card? And was that AMD uninstall one right? Or would I need to go into control panel and the driver manager?

My laptop is a HP DV6-1299ea Artist Edition. On System info, my current bios version is F.14 and SMBIOS is 2.4.
Also, when looking on there, it says Installed Physical memory: 4.00GB, Total: 4.00GB, Available: 2.06GB. Not sure if that available memory is what is it meant to be? There were quite a few memory addresses under the conflicts/sharing involving my graphics card as the device...not sure if that's any help?
Also, my AC adapter came today, but they sent me the wrong one. They gave me a 18.5V/3.5A rather than the 9V/4.74A that I bought (what was what my old AC was) would I still be able to use it, or is it just not enough output for my laptop and I should send it back and get the 9v?

Now it just seems to be going back to the way it was before I had it cleaned last, Its freezing in normal use after about an hour, it's frozen twice in the last 3 hours :/

My laptop is a HP DV6-1299ea Artist Edition. On System info, my current bios version is F.14 and SMBIOS is 2.4.
Also, when looking on there, it says Installed Physical memory: 4.00GB, Total: 4.00GB, Available: 2.06GB. Not sure if that available memory is what is it meant to be? There were quite a few memory addresses under the conflicts/sharing involving my graphics card as the device...not sure if that's any help?
Also, my AC adapter came today, but they sent me the wrong one. They gave me a 18.5V/3.5A rather than the 9V/4.74A that I bought (what was what my old AC was) would I still be able to use it, or is it just not enough output for my laptop and I should send it back and get the 9v?

Now it just seems to be going back to the way it was before I had it cleaned last, Its freezing in normal use after about an hour, it's frozen twice in the last 3 hours :/

This should do for the ac adapter, take the one you just got and wrap it back up and send it back for a refund if they don't have the right one.
Also you maybe in luck, if you can get to your ram slots, take out "one" of them and cover the ram slot up temporarily.
Turn on your pc and note what happens, if it comes on, go into the bios and do the memtest again.
If it doesn't cut off wonderfull, if it does however do that, then test the other memory, if both of them are faulty both will need to be replaced.

For the memory I recommend this:
Newegg.com - Mushkin Enhanced Essentials 2GB 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Laptop Memory Model 991577
Or you have a nice selection of others to choose from:
Newegg.com - Computer Hardware, Memory, Laptop Memory, 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM, DDR2 800 (PC2 6400), 2GB

This definetely sounds like a memory issue. Computers usually freeze when they don't have enough memory will reply more later I have to go bye

Hey there,
Sorry for the long time for the reply, I've been really busy...
My computer has been getting so bad that its been freezing in normal use on the internet or on Photoshop. Some time it would go for half and hour, sometimes only a couple minutes and it would either shut off suddenly or blink ever so slightly and then freeze completely. It started getting worse while watching films online, I would only be able to watch a couple episodes (not on full screen view as it would freeze within 5 minutes if in that view) before it would freeze and i'd have to wait a good 15 minutes before it would turn back on again. Then it got worse and I've hardly been able to be on here for 15 minutes without a freeze.
I'm in the process of trying out the RAM, luckily, it's easy to get to and also on the lucky side, I do have 2 slots each with a 2GB in. First of all, I took them both out, put the RAM from slot 1 into slot 2 and booted with just that one in. It ran for an ok amount of time, but was quite slow (I guess that's typical slowness of having only 2gb in vista) So I went to go do a memtest on it. It shut itself off suddenly just before it finished shutting down. When turned on again, the memtest started and ran for a couple of minutes before my screen blinked a couple times and then shut off. I took that RAM stick out, and took the other RAM stick and put it in slot 1. Tried to boot up, but after 3 attempts just to make sure, my computer wouldn't turn on - it would have a black screen like it was about to boot up and then cut out and turn off. I then tried the same RAM stick used previously in the 2nd slot and booted up. And that's where I am now. My computer is slightly slow, but not as much as it was before with the other stick. I've loaded Photoshop with no problems so far, and while writing this, Ive been on here at least half hour without a crash. I havn't tried to memtest this one yet as I'm a bit apprehensive since it seems to be going ok at the moment and I don't want to mess it up...

The second stick!! GET RID OF IT!! It's what is causing the problem I fear it may be failing and taking the whole PC down with it. GET RID. of it! Sorry to sound a bit harsh but I don't think you know the seriousness of the situation.

Hey there,
Sorry for the long time for the reply, I've been really busy...
My computer has been getting so bad that its been freezing in normal use on the internet or on Photoshop. Some time it would go for half and hour, sometimes only a couple minutes and it would either shut off suddenly or blink ever so slightly and then freeze completely. It started getting worse while watching films online, I would only be able to watch a couple episodes (not on full screen view as it would freeze within 5 minutes if in that view) before it would freeze and i'd have to wait a good 15 minutes before it would turn back on again. Then it got worse and I've hardly been able to be on here for 15 minutes without a freeze.
I'm in the process of trying out the RAM, luckily, it's easy to get to and also on the lucky side, I do have 2 slots each with a 2GB in. First of all, I took them both out, put the RAM from slot 1 into slot 2 and booted with just that one in. It ran for an ok amount of time, but was quite slow (I guess that's typical slowness of having only 2gb in vista) So I went to go do a memtest on it. It shut itself off suddenly just before it finished shutting down. When turned on again, the memtest started and ran for a couple of minutes before my screen blinked a couple times and then shut off. I took that RAM stick out, and took the other RAM stick and put it in slot 1. Tried to boot up, but after 3 attempts just to make sure, my computer wouldn't turn on - it would have a black screen like it was about to boot up and then cut out and turn off. I then tried the same RAM stick used previously in the 2nd slot and booted up. And that's where I am now. My computer is slightly slow, but not as much as it was before with the other stick. I've loaded Photoshop with no problems so far, and while writing this, Ive been on here at least half hour without a crash. I havn't tried to memtest this one yet as I'm a bit apprehensive since it seems to be going ok at the moment and I don't want to mess it up...

Since it boots up with the one stick, I'd say the other stick is bad. If you want to test to be sure, you can download Memtest86+ and burn the ISO to a disc, and see if you can get the computer to boot up. If you can get it to boot up at all with the bad stick in it, then boot off of the disc, and let it run for 4 hours at least; if you get any errors, the RAM is definitely bad. If you can't get it to boot at all.

Did you try the good stick in both RAM slots, to make sure its not a motherboard RAM slot issue, rather than a simple memory issue? Just something else to check.

If the second chip is indeed the culprit, then it'll just be as simple as getting a replacement set of RAM, which is fairly cheap nowadays.

The second stick!! GET RID OF IT!! It's what is causing the problem I fear it may be failing and taking the whole PC down with it. GET RID. of it! Sorry to sound a bit harsh but I don't think you know the seriousness of the situation.

lolwut? A failing RAM stick will only prevent boot... it's not going to blow up your whole computer...

Since it boots up with the one stick, I'd say the other stick is bad. If you want to test to be sure, you can download Memtest86+ and burn the ISO to a disc, and see if you can get the computer to boot up. If you can get it to boot up at all with the bad stick in it, then boot off of the disc, and let it run for 4 hours at least; if you get any errors, the RAM is definitely bad. If you can't get it to boot at all.

Did you try the good stick in both RAM slots, to make sure its not a motherboard RAM slot issue, rather than a simple memory issue? Just something else to check.

If the second chip is indeed the culprit, then it'll just be as simple as getting a replacement set of RAM, which is fairly cheap nowadays.

lolwut? A failing RAM stick will only prevent boot... it's not going to blow up your whole computer...

Yeah okay point taken but one corrupt part CAN lead to other ones because if there's one it usually means more

Not necessarily... RAM is one of the most easy parts to die in a PC. Flash memory has only a limited amount of read/writes that can be performed on them. What does RAM do? Act as temporary storage for programs and buffer space, which means it constantly gets written to and read from. Since RAM is mass produced, there's always a likelihood of some of them not living their entire life, and dying sooner than they should.

A bad PSU, on the other hand, yes, if that starts dying, it can take other parts with it because the PSU could fluctuate power, and cause actual electrical damage to components.

Hey, Thanks for the replies!
Well, the 'good stick' I have in now has only been tried in the second slot, whereas my other RAM stick, which in slot 1 failed to boot up at all, and in slot 2 worked for a while, but froze on shutdown. I'm a bit hesitant to put this stick in the what I think is the 'bad' slot in case of the event that it somehow messes up my good stick.
I did have a little go with booting up a game with this good stick in (with the lowest specs due to only have 2GB ram now) just to test It and it did still freeze...so I'm not sure if it has caused electrical damage to something else on my computer...device manager and all that jazz says that everything is working correctly, but I never think I should trust it :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom