Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Natural Disaster

• Other

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The mayans were masters of astronomy, I think any extinction level event (deep impact ;) would have to be some form of asteriod, that they managed to predict hit the earth.

The funny part of the Mayans, is no true scholar believes the predictions. A crackpot in the 70's came up with it.

The world won't end, as proven by Marty McFly

There's still the potential for us to hit the good ol' Mutually Assured Destruction scenario. Personally I think issues like colony collapse disorder (in bee colonies) could contribute to a global food shortage, especially with us increasingly diverting crops to biofuels. There's some biological battles that we're going to have to fight against continually evolving diseases too.

Edit: I swear I'll start giving infractions if people start giving credit to the 2012 Mayan apocalypse theories. There was never any such predictions, it's just the end of a calendar cycle. Our calendars start again after December just like the Mayan long count will.

The mayans were masters of astronomy, I think any extinction level event (deep impact ;) would have to be some form of asteriod, that they managed to predict hit the earth.
The above is more a joke than a threat but seriously, they well and truly lacked the capability for that. As far as I'm aware they would not have had access to telescopes with which to make a remotely accurate observation of such relatively tiny objects and they lacked the understanding of physics and mathematics necessary to make such a calculation.

As i am a Pagan and my religion is Earth Based, I really need to toss it up between Science / Technology, Religious and Natural Disaster.

The above is more a joke than a threat but seriously, they well and truly lacked the capability for that. As far as I'm aware they would not have had access to telescopes with which to make a remotely accurate observation of such relatively tiny objects and they lacked the understanding of physics and mathematics necessary to make such a calculation.

Actually they were quite adapt at keeping track of the heavens. They based everything of Venus, and were well capible of tracking and predicting the astrological cycles.

BUT YES, its funny how many forget that the Mayans had 2 or 3 calanders, all which are just as cyclicle as ours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom