Status
Not open for further replies.

ImTorey

Banned
MOBO-EVGA 590 SLI AMD LINK
VCARD-EVGA 9800GTX+
CPU-AMD Athlon 5600+ x2
RAM-5GB DDR2800MHZ

I want to upgrade my CPU for a quick cheap jump in frames on some of the newer games I have been playing. I've noticed my CPU being at 100% both cores while my GPU is at 70% or so. Most so on BF3, I play it now with everything on low and resolution of 1680x1050 and I can hold (depending on map) 50 frames, some maps 30. Never really goes below that and its usually pretty steady frames maybe going up or down by 5.

I have been looking at this CPU LINK

I don't have a whole lot of options and "thinking" this is my best bet.

I've done some research and have read that AM3 is backwards compatible with AM2/AM2+ Sockets, but not 100% Sure so can anyone comfirm?

Yea just read that, and also read another thread on the eVGA forums. You need to do a bunch of stuff to get it to work making it almost a neccesity to buying an AM3 or AM2+ board.

Seems like a bunch of people have gotten it to work though, Think I might try this but not certain yet, I'm building a new computer in the near future 2-4 Months, but I want this PC to stay around and be able to handle more even after I'm mostly done with it.

Well is their another processor that will be much better then the one I have without all this hassle or a cheap AM3 Board I could buy along with this CPU.

Well is their another processor that will be much better then the one I have without all this hassle or a cheap AM3 Board I could buy along with this CPU.
Hmm not really. If I was you, I would try to find a used 940be and a used AM2+ board. Actually, if you would be willing to cover the cost of shipping I'll trade you my AM2+ board for your 590sli if you have taken good care of it. I miss my 590sli big time.

Can you email me at toreythill@gmail.com I'd be interested in this but it will take me a week or so. What model is your board? My board is well taken care of the only thing I can complain about is that the Chipset fan is louder then it used to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom