RAM/Motherboard issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok well I can't get my hands on some thermal paste for a few days...temporary solution is taking off my side panel and setting a big fan next to my comp on high setting hahaha lets see if that works.

edit: ok yeah that doesn't help at all...

Its probably because the surface of your heatsink isn't properly in contact with the CPU, less to do with the thermal paste, although thermal paste does help. Try reseating your heatsink now with the thermal paste that's already there.

have you have made sure that your heat sink is properly tightened in place, if it's loose it won't be in contact properly and therefore won't work well.

Its probably because the surface of your heatsink isn't properly in contact with the CPU, less to do with the thermal paste, although thermal paste does help. Try reseating your heatsink now with the thermal paste that's already there.

have you have made sure that your heat sink is properly tightened in place, if it's loose it won't be in contact properly and therefore won't work well.

If you reseat your HSF, the general practice is to re-apply thermal paste, so it's distributed across the surface of the chip evenly. If you pull it off and don't reapply, it can have gaps and potentially raise your temps.

If you reseat your HSF, the general practice is to re-apply thermal paste, so it's distributed across the surface of the chip evenly. If you pull it off and don't reapply, it can have gaps and potentially raise your temps.

I know, but it's worth a try until the thermal paste comes. If it doesn't work he will just have to wait as he has been doing.

Thank you all so much for helping an amateur like me figure out what the problem was and how to fix it!

I really appreciate it!

The CPU fan was loose and thermal paste was not covering the entire surface. I tightened the fan (will re-apply paste when it arrives) and now my temps are in the 30-40c range while idle - much better!

I don't foresee any further issues so for now, thank you and goodbye!

Thank you all so much for helping an amateur like me figure out what the problem was and how to fix it!

I really appreciate it!

The CPU fan was loose and thermal paste was not covering the entire surface. I tightened the fan (will re-apply paste when it arrives) and now my temps are in the 30-40c range while idle - much better!

I don't foresee any further issues so for now, thank you and goodbye!

Glad you got it back up and working properly; glad to help.

When a CPU is pushing temps that would fry it, if you can't get thermal paste you have two options, go with out the machine, or reseat it with out removing the old thermal paste. Yes you will have "gaps" but it's not like the old days where we used wax pastes and real legit gaps and air pockets would form, these days, most the air is actually forced out, though, the paste has been disturbed, as long as it's wet it will be OKISH at such extreme temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom