First build ever Gaming video editing machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
whats better the i7 2600k vs i7 3770?? or the i5-3570K as i see more pc gaming builds use it more.
For gaming the benefits of the 3770 over the 3570K don't justify the price increase.
You get hyper-threading, 2mb more L3 cache, and 0.1 higher clock, none of which I've seen effect gaming benchmarks.

Also, not really sure why people are hating on Ivy Bridge for overclocking, but if you're just looking for a moderate OC (~4.5GHz) they do just fine.
Yeah they run a bit warmer than Sandy Bridge, but they also have a higher thermal tolerance.

This PC isn't just for gaming.
At 4.5 they are heat monsters. 4.7 was topping 90c on an H100 which is more than most will want to tolerate. I can do 4.7 on my 2500k with an H50 and be in the lower 70s. That is not simply a "bit" warmer.

This PC isn't just for gaming.
At 4.5 they are heat monsters. 4.7 was topping 90c on an H100 which is more than most will want to tolerate. I can do 4.7 on my 2500k with an H50 and be in the lower 70s. That is not simply a "bit" warmer.
I was pointing out why gaming builds use it more.

Link to the 4.7GHz @ 90c on an H100 test?
They must have messed something up, people on OCN and OCF forums have gotten 4.7GHz on the H100 in the high 60s to low-mid 70s (link | link).
And HEXUS got theirs to 4.7GHz @ 76c on an A70 (link).

I have linked to it twice before. Once for you, and again for somebody else in these help threads. The fact is OCing IB is a 50/50 chance of having a heat monster or not. Sure the TJ is higher, but that doesn't mean that 80c at 4.7 wont kill it slower. SB is simply a cooler chip and is better for OCing which is why I suggest IB for stock people and SB for OCing unless they just want to do 4.2 or something low like that. Also take into consideration that not everybody is going to have a closed or open loop water kit or even decent air for that matter. Most of the time when people say they want to OC in these threads they want to get by with a CM Hyper. Even if they got a cool IB chip it will run hot under one of those pieces of metal if they even tried to push 4.5.

Hey guys thanks for all the help. Im going to pull the trigger on this build (buying parts tomorrow) and decided to go with the i7 3770.
so my build is looking like this
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card
Case: Antec Nine Hundred Two ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair 500W ATX12V Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG GH22NS90B DVD/CD Writer

Also i noticed that that ASrockz77 motherboard only has PCI express x16 slot when my video card is a PCI express 3.0 slot. Will that effect it in anyway?
Was thinking about replacing it with http://canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=26_722&item_id=042562 since it has a PCI 3.0 slot.

Please let me know if i should change anything before pulling the trigger on this.
thank you tech forums love you guys.

Should that work better for the video card since it supports pci-e 3.0? sorry im kind of a noob when it comes to this.

Not really relevant unless you want to do SLI or Crossfire with a pair of 680s or 7970s. That is the only time that PCI-E 3 is needed right now. That board has 2 PCI-E 3.0 slots though so you are fine either way.

You could get 8 Gigs of RAM instead of 16, 8 Gigs is all you will ever need for gaming and video editing shouldn't use that much. Don't get an i5 if your going to be doing editing and rendering. You will want the hyper threading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom