USB and Ethernet connections stopped working overnight

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaytonaJoe

Solid State Member
One day my computer was working fine, the next my keyboard and mouse don't work. They do, however, work in BIOS. I tried playing with USB settings in BIOS and it didn't affect anything. I also tried restoring to defaults: no effect. There's only one thing I can think of that *may* have had something to do with all of this. A day or two prior to the issue I attempted to make my PS3 controller work with the computer by installing a program called MotioninJoy and when that didn't work, DS3 Tool. The night before the problem I uninstalled some programs associated with my PS3 effort, and the computer continued to function normally through the night.

The next morning I fired up the computer and the mouse/keyboard were not responsive. In addition, the computer seems to be unable to connect to the wired network I have set up. Any ideas or suggestions that might help me solve this?

EDIT: Running the PC in safe mode, the same problem exists

Here is my system:

-Windows 7 64 bit

• [*=left]1 x ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
    [*=left]1 x ASUS ENGTX570 DCII/2DIS/1280MD5 GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
    [*=left]1 x COUGAR A-Series A760 (CGR B3-760) 760W ATX12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Ultra Quiet Power Supply
    [*=left]1 x Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I72600K
    [*=left]1 x Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
    [*=left]1 x Crucial Ballistix 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model BLE2KIT4G3D186HCE1TX0
    [*=left]1 x Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

How can I do that? I have no control over the computer since the mouse and keyboard don't work.

If you have PS/2 connectors on your board, borrow PS/2 mouse/keyboard and use those. Don't really need drivers for those.

Do you have any other USB devices connected? Have you tried a PS/2 keyboard?

Other USB devices: none, currently only mouse and keyboard. I haven't tried PS/2 but it seems to be a common solution so I will try and find a cheap one, as the PC does have the port.

Edit: in the event that I find this keyboard and it works, is it even possible to navigate without the mouse? What will my goal be with the working keyboard?

You can navigate with just the keyboard. But it's tricky. I'm sure you can find a ps/2 mouse, too. If your board has x2 PS/2 ports.

In the event that the PS/2 keyboard does work, I would look in reinstalling the chipset drivers from the board's manufacturer.

Yeah you have to be careful with motion joy, as it tends to install alot of virtual USB drivers for game controllers. but if used properly, its not a bad program.

if you get a ps2 mouse, an alternative to reinstalling the chipset drivers would be to log safemode and perform a system restore to a point where you had motionjoy/usb driver functionality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom