VGA problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

trecdisagrees

Beta member
Hello, I'm new around here and actually randomly searched for a tech forum that I could join to help me with a problem I'm having lately.

A few days ago I went out and purchased a VGA cable to hook up my laptop to my TV - video and audio. It worked perfectly, for a few days, but this morning I came home from work and the audio is no longer working. The video comes perfectly through to my TV but the audio will only play through the laptop speakers now. I've tried shutting both the TV and the laptop down and disconnecting the cable at both ends, then reconnecting and restarting but the problem persists. Admittedly I'm not tech savvy at all and this whole laptop to TV connection thing is quite new to me. Any help would be appreciated.

The VGA cable has nothing to do with the audio. VGA stands for Video Graphics Array. I think you may have a problem with the actual speakers, or maybe the laptop has muted itself? I'm sorry I can't be more helpful, but I need more information on what the exact problem is.

Sound doesn't transfer through VGA. Only HDMI can do that. I dunno how you "got it to work" before. I think you are confused.

If you're using VGA from computer to TV, then you'll need a 1/8" (3.5mm) male-to-male audio cable as well (sometimes called audio patch cables). Hook that into the headphone jack of your laptop, and there should be a "PC Audio Input" on the TV, somewhere near the VGA input. That's the only way to get sound to your TV with VGA video.

If you're using VGA from computer to TV, then you'll need a 1/8" (3.5mm) male-to-male audio cable as well (sometimes called audio patch cables). Hook that into the headphone jack of your laptop, and there should be a "PC Audio Input" on the TV, somewhere near the VGA input. That's the only way to get sound to your TV with VGA video.

Sorry - What I have is the VGA cable with an audio cable added on to it which connects, as you said, to the back of my TV, the PC Audio Input, and the headphone jack of my laptop.

I helped him fix it - was something weird with WIndows apparently, as it started working after trying out a set of headphones to verify the jacked worked, and then plugging it back into the TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom