upgrade for photo editing

Status
Not open for further replies.
it seems it runs at 1.65v as standard, i have pulled this off someones review of it is this ok? they say this is at the "top end" i wont be overclocking the ram

this is getting expensive but i am also considering a new graphics card, on nvidea website the gtx 480 seems to out perform the gtx 560 i can can get either on ebay for about the same price if i buy a secondhand gtx 480, its probebly a silly question but would it be better to go for 480 or the 560?

sorry i have so many questions :)

your help is really appreciated
Don't worry about a ton of questions. That is what these forums are for and you give me something to do!

The reason I try to steer people away from the 480 is because it is a furnace. If you are ok with this and can get one for a good price then by all means a 480 would be a ton better than dual 4850s.

hmm ok, this is the 480 Point of View Nvidia GTX 480 1536MB (GTX480) | eBay

this is the 560 eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

when you say a furnace? i have a large case fan on the sides, with case fan on front and back

is the card so hot its known for failure?
The 480 will for sure be faster than a vanilla 560.
The chip is a hot chip. Since this is way past release it shouldn't have any problems at all with the fan ramp. When they first came out the early models had a fan ramp problem in the bios that caused the fan to spin up to late and it would overheat and throttle. Since it has been a few years the chances of you actually getting one of these cards new is slim to none. If you have sufficient air flow then the 480 would be more performance.

The 480 will for sure be faster than a vanilla 560.
The chip is a hot chip. Since this is way past release it shouldn't have any problems at all with the fan ramp. When they first came out the early models had a fan ramp problem in the bios that caused the fan to spin up to late and it would overheat and throttle. Since it has been a few years the chances of you actually getting one of these cards new is slim to none. If you have sufficient air flow then the 480 would be more performance.

well i now own a 480, lol hopefully there will be no heat issues :)

so with this new card do you think i will require a larger PSU now?

ok update guys, i built the beast and runs like a dream, unfortunetely, i have received my gfx 480 and it randomly spits out white lines on the screen, occassionally its fine but then its bad again, it did this the first time i switched on, (even in bios), i have ensured the psu works and my old g card works fine in the pci slot that the gfx 480 is in.
im goin to return to sender as this has put me off a second hand card.

the question now is do i get a radeon 2gig HD6970 for £200 or two radeon 1 gig HD6850 for £200 and cross fire them? i am upping my budget to get new card/cards rather than second hand but £200 is the limit,

btw, 2 hd6950 in my case would fit but it would be tight ish.

My motherboard is a ASUS P8Z68-v lx

http://ie.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z68V_LX/

1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (blue) *1
1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (x4 mode, black) *1

im not sure what speed the pci slots will run if i use cross fire? 16x and 4x maybe ?????? will this affect anything speed wise?

EDIT: im going to do a furmark test on the card shortly, i thought furmark had a stability test but i cant see the option for that?

i also here 16x and 4x can cause problems? maybe one card will be better for reliability and less heat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom