RAM/Motherboard issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nahledge

Baseband Member
Intel i5 2500k processor
4 gb ddr3 1866 mhz.....?pc3 - 15000? "designed for intel 6 series platform"....just bought this thinking my RAM was bad.
EVGA GTX260
Asrock p67 extreme gen 3 motherboard

My computer had trouble with my old Radeon hd 5770 because of some driver issues and the ATI software didn't work for whatever reason and I wanted a new card anyways so I got a GTX260...pretty sure it is working.

That did not fix my problems though and I am convinced that my RAM is bad so I bought new RAM as well...tried the new RAM in all slots and my computer is still slow.

Acting very sluggish and sometimes randomly shuts down. While playing WOW (which I should be able to play on max settings very smoothly with the system I have?) it is very choppy and unplayable unless I am alone in the middle of no where.

So...my conclusion is that something is wrong with my motherboard? Since I got brand new RAM and a brand new video card but my computer still acts like it is made of wood.

How do I fix this? Do I have to replace my motherboard as well? It is less than a year old...I feel like I should not be having any problems with the system that I have. Maybe I put some things together wrong? I just followed instructions in a video and my computer worked just fine until recently.

have you checked your software...especially windows?
A nasty trojan will bring any pc to it's knees, and make it plead for a quick death

Well so far when I try a "whole computer scan" (using AVG free version) my comp shuts down part way into it....has happened 3 times. Most recently I tried the scan while in "safe mode with networking" and it still crashed.

I am going to try using Malwarebytes to scan now and see how that goes...

My windows is up to date. (windows 7 64bit)

edit: ok it crashed during malwarebytes scan too. Tried safemode again and use AVG...crashed still.

At this point I am just going to assume that I should restore or just re-install windows.

Are you getting any BSODS? I have a sneaking suspicion that your PSU is to blame, what model is it? A bad PSU that is not putting out adequate power will cause random shut-down events.

Does Event Viewer show any details for the shutdown events? A virus will not normally cause these kind of random shutdowns, but power and heat can.

No BSODS. I have a Seventeam v-force series 650w power supply.

Event Viewer:

Warning 5/7/2012 2:52:18 AM RPC (Microsoft-Windows-RPC-Events) 11 None
Possible Memory Leak. Application (C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe -k LocalServiceNetworkRestricted) (PID: 880) has passed a non-NULL pointer to RPC for an [out] parameter marked [allocate(all_nodes)]. [allocate(all_nodes)] parameters are always reallocated; if the original pointer contained the address of valid memory, that memory will be leaked. The call originated on the interface with UUID ({3f31c91e-2545-4b7b-9311-9529e8bffef6}), Method number (20). User Action: Contact your application vendor for an updated version of the application

Warning 5/7/2012 2:51:39 AM Time-Service 134 None
NtpClient was unable to set a manual peer to use as a time source because of DNS resolution error on ''. NtpClient will try again in 3473457 minutes and double the reattempt interval thereafter. The error was: The requested name is valid, but no data of the requested type was found. (0x80072AFC)

Warning 5/7/2012 2:40:03 AM User Profile Service 1530 None
Windows detected your registry file is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded now. The applications or services that hold your registry file may not function properly afterwards.

DETAIL -
1 user registry handles leaked from \Registry\User\S-1-5-21-58183921-3133621316-1181624456-1000:
Process 3000 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\msiexec.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-58183921-3133621316-1181624456-1000\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

Warning 5/7/2012 2:31:24 AM Winlogon 6001 None
The winlogon notification subscriber <GPClient> failed a notification event.

Warning 5/7/2012 2:20:57 AM Search 1008 Search service

The Windows Search Service is starting up and attempting to remove the old search index {Reason: Full Index Reset}.

Error 5/7/2012 2:10:57 AM Kernel-EventTracing 3 Session
Session "Circular Kernel Context Logger" stopped due to the following error: 0xC0000188

Error 5/7/2012 2:09:37 AM Kernel-EventTracing 3 Session
Session "ReadyBoot" stopped due to the following error: 0xC0000188

There are a couple more....but that is most of it.

I re-installed windows and my comp crashed while installing updates. I noticed one of my case fans was not running so I connected that - might help if there is a heat issue. There was also lots of dust around the processor...got rid of that.

If you are suffering heat issues, hwmonitor (not pro, get standard) from cpuid.com will help you find them. If you don't care, download that and run that program for a short while, take a screen shot and post what HWMonitor shows here, please?

Its a bit blurry on my phone but it looks like your in the 80s. That's pretty hot, I guess your using the stock cooler? Even then it shouldn't be that bad, try reapplying thermal paste and then re seating the cooler for your CPU.

My CPU temps jump up to around 98c when WoW is running.

So I guess I should pick up some thermal paste and re-seat the CPU. Just have to find a store that has it.

Holy wow... if that's right.. then yeah, that's way too high for CPU temps.

Clean the current thermal paste off, and then reseat your CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom