Am I Am

Beta member
I just bought a bare bone system with the following:

motherboard: AsRock K7VM2
256mb SDRAM Memory
Power Supply 350 watt
ATX Style case
AMD 2400 XP Processor

When I first got the system I installed all my IDE devices, hard drive, and floppy.
My hard drive was from my old computer which used XP home edition as the O/S.
I forgot to POST (Power on self test)..the system and my monitor would not display.
I disconnected all the devices and did the "Power on self test".
My monitor displayed the system checking memory.
I shut down and reconnected my IDE devices, hard drive, and floppy.

After restarting, my monitor would not work.
I disconnected my CDRW and left my DVD-rom connected.
I restarted the system, and my monitor worked perfectly and the system began checking memory.

I went into the BIOS and changed my boot priority settings to boot from my DVD-rom.
I got my Windows XP disk and placed it into the DVD-rom drive.
I saved my settings in my BIOS and the system went to the DVD-rom and booted up into Windows Setup program.
I reinstalled my Windows XP on my C:\ drive and Windows Setup transferred all the necessary files to complete the new install of XP.

But when Windows Setup rebooted, the system went to the DVD-rom and booted up the Windows Setup program.
I ran the XP setup again, and the XP setup told me that it could not find a valid installation of Windows on the drive!!!

So I exited the XP setup and the system rebooted from the DVD-rom into the Windows XP setup.
This time, I chose to recover the installation and XP setup told me to insert a CD in the drive!!!
I pressed enter indicating that a CD was in the drive various times, unsuccessfully.
I then opted to exit the XP setup and reboot.

When the system rebooted, I went into the BIOS and changed my boot priority to boot from my hard drive.
I left BIOS and the system went to the hard drive looking for a boot log.
Since Windows deleted my O/S, I have no idea what to do.

I have tried to run the XP setup various times and it has resulted in the pattern above.

And that is where I am now.
Can anyone help?

Upset and confused.
Am I Am

ok,...i'm lost again,..but i think this is what you should do,....go to the bios set the HD as first boot priority,.....then exit the bios..after exit press F9(or whatever) to take you to a boot menu,..then you choose boot to DVD,...then the it will take you to xp setup,..after set up is done....it will restart and boot from the HD and not the DVD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom