Upgrading my CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenacious

Baseband Member
Hey guys im a bit of a noob here so go easy on me, i bought a simple gateway awhile back(model dx4860) it has an i3 duo core in it and i was wanting to replace it with a 6 core amd, is there anything i need to know before buying the new cpu? or am i good to just buy it and swap them out? thanks in advance

i3 = Intel LGA1155 socket. A hex core AMD = either AM3, AM3+, or FM1 socket.

In other words, you will need a new motherboard to use the AMD chip. If your computer is the same size as normal you will need a microATX motherboard to fit in the case.

Your computer is not a small form factor so it should use a mATX. Gateway used to have eMachine and they used off the shelf parts.

As PP said, take some pics inside. Try to show the pattern the mounting screws use.

What's making you want to upgrade. Honestly the i3 is faster then the CPU you'd be looking into unless you're running very well threaded software.

At that point it'd be easier and more beneficial to upgrade to a stronger Intel processor anyways.

im on a close to 400 dollar budget on this upgrade so an intel is to much, and the amd proccesor im looking at is a 8 core for 180.

So if i were to just get an i5 or somthing, would that work with my current motherboard?

Im still having a bit of trouble deciding what to do, if i want an amd cpu i will need a new mobo, and if i get a new mobo i will need a new case. so if i were to get an intel core, could i just simply replace the one i have now without having to do anything else? this is my comp btw Gateway Support - Downloads & Support Documents - Desktop / DX Series / DX4860

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom