Replacing Motherboard and Case for an Older Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragnos

Baseband Member
Hello everyone, I'm in need of the forums' assistance and expertise. I have an older computer that I want to get running again for the family.

A few months ago I created a similar thread with the end goal of upgrading. This time, however, I want to replace or purchase similar parts so that we can use the computer as it is.

The motherboard (P5W DH DELUXE) is faulty and I would like to replace it. I've found sellers providing the same make however, since I'm spending the money, I may as well buy a better one.

So, the new motherboard must be compatible with the processor (Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6320) as well as the video card (EVGA GeForce GTS 450).

The motherboard also cannot be too new since the ram we're using is DDR2.

As for the case I see that a lot of new ones have their power supply carriages fastened to the bottom which is awesome because it would make the case less top heavy. The beat up one that we have now has it fastened to the top.

Does it matter whether the PSU carriage is on top or on the bottom? I know it's a simple question but I would rather be safe than sorry. Any recommendations would be welcome.

So, thanks again for helping another hapless newbie techie. This community has always been helpful in the past and for that I'm grateful. Have a good day or night!

The fun part will be finding a motherboard for it, period. While they are still out there, they are nowhere near as plentiful as they used to be. NewEgg has five models in stock, plus a refurb one. TigerDirect has about the same. MicroCenter has three (I think). Geeks.com for four new models, two refurb, and one used. Most of all of these are mATX boards BTW. I didn't check eBay.

Cases are much easier. This search shows all the cases NewEgg has that have bottom mounting for PSUs. All you have to do is choose your size and the one you want.

Thank you for your swift responses Trotter and PP Mguire.

After doing a few searches I realize that whenever I buy a motherboard I may not be able to get the box/books/cables/etc. so I may as well get the MoBo that I have everything for already.

I figured that the PSU mounted on the top or bottom wouldn't make a different but I would rather be safe than sorry.

Time to order some things. Again, thanks you two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom