Computer hard lock and sound repeat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, late reply but work got in the way :(

Have a horrible feeling my hard drive could be at fault. I've been experiencing a lot of issues over the past few days/weeks now including Firefox refusing to start/uninstall/reinstall, same with iTunes, my network adapter has refused to respond (disabling then restarting and enabling usually works).

Any advice? Could I be on the right track?

Okay, late reply but work got in the way :(

Have a horrible feeling my hard drive could be at fault. I've been experiencing a lot of issues over the past few days/weeks now including Firefox refusing to start/uninstall/reinstall, same with iTunes, my network adapter has refused to respond (disabling then restarting and enabling usually works).

Any advice? Could I be on the right track?

If all that is going on within your os, my first peace of advice is backup any critical data you need to use during the week elsewhere.
Do a full format in windows, should take less than in hour.
Start the clean install process and begin to get your drivers for your hardware and software ready to put back in.

If for some reason the installations errors out, get a good glance of the error and write it down and bring it back here.

Well am back from a few long weeks at work and still with the same issues!

Took the HDD to a friends shop and tested it thoroughly, came back clean.
Ran the stress test, memtest, etc etc again just to be sure.

Then I removed a second HDD I had connected and it worked fine for a day, and for a second it lulled me into thinking all was well.........Sadly it's back.

Have tested under safe mode but am unable to run any of the software that it eventually freezes up on.
Have also changed SATA ports just on the off chance it's that.

Not sure if this is connected but every other reboot I'm forced to make my network adapter faults, wont connect to internet, won't disable, won't uninstall, forcing yet another restart:/

Any idea's what to break next?

Complete re-installation of windows done, thought it was fixed but just happened again:(

So not software I guess

you should try stress testing your video card.
give EVGA OC Scanner a shot. Since you have a GTX 295, make sure to test both cores.

Thanks for that, have managed to recreate the error (screen lockup and hard reset) once when I first ran it (and after only 10 seconds!). But have run it again for over 30 minutes and no problems. Very intermittent.

Any idea's what could be causing it? Or is it just 'on its way out'?

Thanks for that, have managed to recreate the error (screen lockup and hard reset) once when I first ran it (and after only 10 seconds!). But have run it again for over 30 minutes and no problems. Very intermittent.

Any idea's what could be causing it? Or is it just 'on its way out'?

Don't give up just yet, we're running out of options here even I am starting to doubt what the heck is going with your machine. :\

"Motherboard Manufacturer: Packard Bell BV
Motherboard Model: P5N=E SLI
Graphic Interface Version: PCI-Express

Memory Type: DDR2
Size: 4096 MB
Frequency: 266.3 MHz

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295
Display Memory: 2668 MB
Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Driver File Version: 8.17.0012.9610
"

Between those 2 items I am thinking one of them is a real problem here.
In your nvidia control panel try to reduce the resolution down abit and check your refresh rates.

If that isn't it at all, I would personally start looking into a issue with packard bell themselves.

Confirm that with me later on today once you figured out its not the card and I'll see what I can do to get you a RMA request by packard bell.

Have changed the resolution by small increments and nothing much changed. Was just about to post that there was an imbalance between my GPU loads (one was at 27% and the other at 77%) when running the OC scanner but then the system locked on me again.

Okay at 1440 x 900 with a refresh of 75hz its reproducing the error on a regular basis, using the scanner, and still the abnormal load. Would have taken a screenshot but can't for obvious reasons. Managed to take a couple on my phone if you want some pretty pictures?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom