Single SSD for OS - and - two HDD's in raid0

Status
Not open for further replies.

theanimal

Baseband Member
So, I recently had a thread in the new build section where I got a lot of advice on what to get and what not to get. I ordered everything and got my parts and put the build together.

I got:

1x Mushkin 60GB SSD - for Windows7
2x Seagate 7200RPM 500GB HDD's - for everything else

I'm using a MSI Z77-GD65 motherboard, I have the Mushkin SSD in sata port 1 which is 6GB/S, and I have the two HDD's in sata parts 5 & 6 which are also 6GB/S.

I installed Windows 7 on the SSD and I love the speed, I absolutely love it. So then I went back to set up the raid config for the other two hard drives (which I've never done). I absolutely for the life of me can not figure out how to set up the raid in this BIOS. I went to the SATA Configuration screen and changed SATA Mode from AHCI to RAID, but then it just blue screened on start up.

Another thing that is odd is...when I go to HDD Boot Priority within BIOS it lists both HDD's and the SSD. But when I go to the System Status page it lists my sata port 1 ssd and sata port 3 card reader, and sata port 4 dvd drive, but it does not list the HDD's.

I read the entire owner's manual/guide and I'm absolutely clueless right now so go easy on me, any help would be appreciated.

IIRC, you need to set it to AHCI, but the two drives that you RAID go on a separate number of SATA ports that take care of the RAID. After POST, there should be a RAID prompt, press F9 or F11, whatever it is to go in it. You don't do it directly from BIOS.

IIRC, you need to set it to AHCI, but the two drives that you RAID go on a separate number of SATA ports that take care of the RAID. After POST, there should be a RAID prompt, press F9 or F11, whatever it is to go in it. You don't do it directly from BIOS.

Well, I have 6 SATA ports. Ports 1-2 are 6gb/s, ports 3-4 are 3gb/s, ports 5-6 are 6gb/s. Besides those indications on the mobo and in the guide, there's nothing that would say if certain ports are for raid.

For my mobo, setup is Del and select boot device is f11. I tried f9 and nothing happened. I'll go through and check the other keys.

For my mobo, setup is Del and select boot device is f11. I tried f9 and nothing happened. I'll go through and check the other keys.

Edit: I tried all the other keys and none worked. I know you can do disk striping in Disk Managment, would that give the same effect? Or is it not as fast or?

If you are using those drives for storage I wouldn't recommend putting them in RAID 0, you would be doubling the chance of experiencing data loss due to a drive failure.

Looked at your manual. after POST, you should see this for a few seconds:

Code:
RAID Volumes

None defined.

Physical Disks:

Port Device Model Serial # Size Type/Status(Vol ID)

1 XXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXX XXX.XGB Non-RAID Disk
2 XXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXX XXX.XGB Non-RAID Disk

Press <CTRL-I> to enter Configuration Utility..

That's CTRL and "i"

Do you see this?

Looked at your manual. after POST, you should see this for a few seconds:

Code:
RAID Volumes

None defined.

Physical Disks:

Port Device Model Serial # Size Type/Status(Vol ID)

1 XXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXX XXX.XGB Non-RAID Disk
2 XXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXX XXX.XGB Non-RAID Disk

Press <CTRL-I> to enter Configuration Utility..

That's CTRL and "i"

Do you see this?

The first screen I see upon booting looks similar to that. I see my two 500GB HD's listed like that, it doesn't say "Non-RAID Disk" at the end though, it says SATA 0 and SATA 1. Even though they are in SATA ports 5+6, in both the BIOS and in Windows they show as Sata 0 and Sata 1, while the SSD shows as Sata 2.

What page in the manual is that? I have it in front of me and can't find that for the life of me. Does it mention setting the option in the BIOS to RAID?

I will give Ctrl+I a go anyway though.

So unfortunately that still didn't work. I suppose I'll try calling MSI support and see if they can help me.

Another thing that I'm having a slight issue with is, when the computer boots up, it takes a good minute or two for the internet to connect. Is this because it's booting up so fast and the router isn't giving it an IP fast enough or could that be something mobo related?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom