Wanting to upgrade Mobo and GFX card, please help (:

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i should invest in just a new GFX card you think? And why would i need to get a new CPU if i mobo, others aren't compatible? Also, do you think i should try to dual gfx card or just get one better? could i possibly dual gfx card with the one i currently am using with another better one or what?
You were thinking that just because you didn't have a spare 16x slot you couldn't Crossfire 2 AMD cards together. Well for you to get a board with dual 16x slots you will need to upgrade the platform you're on. The 1156 (P55) platform makes all cards drop to 8x when in Crossfire or SLI with only an exception being certain boards which can't be had new anymore. With that being said, for what you wanted to do a new mobo and CPU would be needed. That is why I said your board is fine with that second 8x slot.

Not many dual GPU cards in your budget. I would try to grab 2 used 5870s, 2 6870s, or a single 7950 right now.

You were thinking that just because you didn't have a spare 16x slot you couldn't Crossfire 2 AMD cards together. Well for you to get a board with dual 16x slots you will need to upgrade the platform you're on. The 1156 (P55) platform makes all cards drop to 8x when in Crossfire or SLI with only an exception being certain boards which can't be had new anymore. With that being said, for what you wanted to do a new mobo and CPU would be needed. That is why I said your board is fine with that second 8x slot.

Not many dual GPU cards in your budget. I would try to grab 2 used 5870s, 2 6870s, or a single 7950 right now.

would a 7970 work instead of the 7950? cuz its still in my price range if im not getting a mobo then. got like 500$ and will be willing to spend all of it for best performance imo, also would i be able to dual it with my current gfx card or no? And will 2 cheaper cards like you said or a 7950/7970 single be better for performance?

would a 7970 work instead of the 7950? cuz its still in my price range if im not getting a mobo then. got like 500$ and will be willing to spend all of it for best performance imo, also would i be able to dual it with my current gfx card or no? And will 2 cheaper cards like you said or a 7950/7970 single be better for performance?
Yea a 7970 would work. If you are going 3 monitors I think the VRAM in a single 7970 would be better than dual 6870s. In raw performance dual 6870s is better but with 1GB per card a triple monitor 1080p setup will not be so great in BF3. I would not Crossfire with a 5850.

Yea a 7970 would work. If you are going 3 monitors I think the VRAM in a single 7970 would be better than dual 6870s. In raw performance dual 6870s is better but with 1GB per card a triple monitor 1080p setup will not be so great in BF3. I would not Crossfire with a 5850.

Yeh i play bf3 and in the future playing GW2, which has like HUGE amount of people(can be like 800+ ppl and stuff at once, 2k ppl totall) and stuff going on in WvW pvp, like insane amounts of things going on at once so for like that , what would be best choice? 7970 just seems good cuz if i want to upgrade i can just buy another one to crossfire, rather than buy a whole new 2 if i got cheaper ones. Also why not crossfire with the 5850? To crossfire do they have to be in the same series? sorry for all the questions, just curious and want to get best that i can ya know.

Not sure about current gen, but in previous gen you could mix and match. Just even if you could it would hamper the performance of the 7970 a great deal. My decision is on the 7970.

Not sure about current gen, but in previous gen you could mix and match. Just even if you could it would hamper the performance of the 7970 a great deal. My decision is on the 7970.

Is there a specific one i hsould get out of the 7970s? Cant really decide between these.
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GV-R797OC-3GD Radeon HD 7970 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
Newegg.com - XFX Double D FX-797A-TDBC Radeon HD 7970 Black Edition 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

would like to get one of these cuz stock overclocked, and more cooling, the few extra bucks doesnt really matter that much to me.

If you are going 3 monitors I think the VRAM in a single 7970 would be better than dual 6870s. In raw performance dual 6870s is better but with 1GB per card a triple monitor 1080p setup will not be so great in BF3. I would not Crossfire with a 5850.
PP Mguire said:
7970 can't handle full graphics on triple monitors with games like BF3 though. If he could find 2 5870s used or a pair of 6870s I think he would be fine.
I am so confused

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom