RAM OC Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubius

Golden Master
Aright, now I really don't have too much experience when it comes to overclocking the RAM, I can overclock my CPU Clock speed just fine and get a nice stable system but the last time I did RAM I fried a kingston value stick :p Now generally I up the FSB past the RAMs stock speed, reboot and run memtest86+ for errors.... my main question is, at what point do you know when your RAM is fried? Because obviously you need to push the RAM until you get errors right? So then you can adjust the timings accordingly or am I looking at this all wrong?

I'm not sure when I need to raise what timings and when to up the DIMM Voltage and/or NB Voltage.....I know loosening the cycle time is one that I need loosening, but Im just not 100% sure..

How do you guys overclock your RAM without worries of it being fried and doing it correctly?

Thanks all

- Nubius

lol I was about to PM you and say 'Damnit leonidas I know you're in that thread so answer my post!' lol :p Thanks man, gonna check it out now. I can't find any articles that are specifically called 'How to get the most out of your RAM' or, 'how to properly OC your RAM' stuff like that

EDIT: lol I actually already came across that very same site when looking for info

nah damnit! I don't know anything! There's people who know more! I'm waiting for 4W4KR he seems to know his shit :p

Generally you want to go in 5-10mhz increments. Stay with default timings and voltages and boost mhz until you start getting errors. When you get your first error go back and loosen your timings (Generally you will want to stay as tight a CAS timings as possible, mess with the other timings first. If you still get errors change to a looser CAS.) If you loosen your timings and STILL get errors start upping your Vdimm. Take it one setting at a time (usually like 2.6v,2.77v,2.8v...etc) Test it and if you get no errors start tightening the timings lil' by lil'. Once you get no errors running a small overclock with slightly looser timings and possibly added voltage WRITE IT DOWN!!! lol tis key. Then start adding more mhz after you have recorded. You will most likely hit a "wall" with mhz after a while, that's when you see if looser timings will get you over it, and if that is to no avail then added voltage might do the trick. I would say don't go over 2.9v, and dont run anything looser than 2.5-4-4-8.

I went from 200mhz 2-3-2-5 2.6v to 220mhz 2.5-2-2-5 2.6v
then 230mhz 2.5-2-2-5 2.77v to 235mhz 2.5-2-2-5 2.85v. After 235mhz my NB couldn't go any higher.

You will want to raise NB voltage probably every 20mhz overlock. Before you add mhz to your RAM try upping NB voltage just incase THAT is holding you back and not your RAM. If still no go then it is definetly RAM that needs the voltage. Do not go over 2.0v NB unless you have some serious cooling. You should be able to do 230-240mhz with just 1.7v anyways.

hope that helps.

ahh yes that helps greatly! Now I have a better idea on how to approach it. Thanks man :D

Nubius said:
ahh yes that helps greatly! Now I have a better idea on how to approach it. Thanks man :D

no problem...that's what i've been told by others and i just pass it along:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom