Can I run these together?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, sounds weird. No the timings won't cause muck ups.

Do you have them in the correct slots? Wht mobo do you have?

yeah there are only two slots on the motherboard he posted so it would be pretty hard to put it in the wrong slot. lol.

Try running them both at the same speeds, so both at Cl6

I'm not that good with computers ^^, how would I do that? I think that it is the Cl5 ram stick that is faulty though, as I had some problems while running it by itself. I will try making them run at the same speeds anyways, might as well give it a try.

With DDR2 you need to set the timings and voltage to the slower sticks or else you will have problems. I'm surprised this hasen't been said already. As in, if the CL5 sticks are 1.8v and the CL6 sticks are 1.9v then you need to set your stuff to the higher ones or you will get lock ups or it wont boot.

You need to go in to the bios and manually set these timings. Refer to your motherboards manual (or an online guide) to do this.

No DDR2 is a total pain in the butt like that. It is harder to mix and match DDR and DDR2 compared to DDR3 because the motherboard wont automatically adjust to the lowest settings that will work. So I recommend for him to go into the bios and manually set the timings and voltage to the slower stick then add it.

Yha thats for sure... As I said, I didnt realize ddr2 didnt run itself. |i've also not mix n matched ddr2.

So kelieve, do as PP says, set your ram manually in the bios.

Thanks for the help. I am not so sure if my RAM stick is faulty anyways, but I will give it a try. How can I tell what voltage the sticks need to run on?

EDIT: I found out that they both run on 1.8v, and I had the voltage set on 1.85v, don't know if that made the difference, but I changed it back to 1.8v. After trying out both of the RAM sticks, the boot screen contents (when it says press delete to enter setup) won't show up. Everything else seems to be working fine except this, and I don't know if this would cause problems in the future, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom