Not booting, restarting constantly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawaii

Beta member
Been having this problem for about a week. The computer usually starts up and I can hear an audible "Beep" when the system loads.

The computer has been not starting up and constantly restarting itself after a couple mintues. Mind you, the system has not booted when the computer restarts.

I thought that my CPU was overheating as this is a common occurance so I did the following.

1.Cleaned out all the fans. (Dust)
2.Checked to make sure all fans were connected and running properly.
3.Tested all the pins of the power supply. (All were working within range).
4.Checked to make sure the voltage on the PSU was correct.
5.Checked for shorts in the computer.
6.Tested the computer's power button.
7.Reseat everything in the computer.
8.Removed the old compound and reapplied thermal compound on the CPU and heatsink, as well as the northbridge.

The computer still doesn't start up right away but once in a while it will turn on. When it turns on it stays on and the CPU and HDD temps, while a little hotter than where the computer normally runs seems fine for the most part. (Normal ~28-30 C CPU-HDD, Now ~30-33 C CPU-HDD) When running a game the temperatures go up to around the ~35-39 C range.

So now I'm thinking it might not be a overheating problem but instead a problem with my HD. When it turns on and off and doesn't get to the "beep" and startup I'm thinking it's something with the POST? Or maybe a bit of both overheating and HD?

I've already done the following:
1. Turned off the auto-restart for system failure.
2. Set CMOS settings back to default.

Still having the same problem of the computer not booting right away, but after 10-15 cycles of turning ifself off and on it sometimes starts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mahalos

What does event viewer show? Do you get any minidump files? Does it restart prior to loading windows, or right as windows starts to load? What are your system specs?

Sorry I couldn't get on yesterday, the computer wouldn't start up for me. Today it started up but after about 15 minutes of trying.

Event viewer doesn't show anything out of the ordinary that I can tell. Just startup of my antivirus program, etc. Though I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be looking for.

Not totally sure about minidump, not sure how that program works on XP or if I need to load support tools.

The restart happens before windows starts and even before it begins to load, which makes me think that it's something to do with the HD.

I'm running Windows XP.
CPU:Intel Core 2 Duo 8400 3GHZ
Ram:2 GB PC6400 DDR2 800
MB:MSI Intel G31M-L V2 GMA 3100 1333FSB
HD: 500 GB SATA II 3.0 GB 16MB 7200RPM

Mind you, I just copied the stuff that I have from when I bought the computer and crossed it with your sig so hopefully that is what you were looking for, those are just a bunch of numbers to me.

Is it possible that the HD is failing or the SATA cable could be bad?

Thanks for your help.

Tried with the Ubuntu cd and HD disconnected but I'm still running into the same problem. Computer restarts itself before booting anything.

Ordered a new cpu fan and heatsink so I'll be trying that next. Is there ever a case where a HD is getting older and needs more cooling than it used to?

Computer is on right now and idle temps are at 33 C (CPU), 37 C (HDD). Is this too high for the HD?

Mahalos

CPU heatsink will not help you. Those temps are fine.

That's what I figured, though those temps are higher than what I'm used to so at the worst I'll use the new fan for a new computer if it comes to that.

Any other suggestions?

Mahalos

Youre going to need to start swapping parts.

I'd pull all but 1 stick of ram, and try each by themselves.
Also try pulling the cpu, therre may be bent pins in the socket.. I'd start here atually

Better yet, why not try to run memtest? Every live cd and OS has to load drivers, but memtest really loads virtually nothing, it's as basic as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom