Need help Installing an SSD properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

stillenacht

Beta member
right, i have either an MSI G-series GT780DX or an ASUS g74sx-nh71

now, both have two hard-drive spaces, and i want to install a kingston hyperX 2k 240gb SSD into one. The plan is to use the SSD for processing and the HDD as storage space

what is the proper way to do this? there is data migrating software in the box, but i have heard that a fresh install is better.
If i am going to migrate data, can i simply migrate the data, then slot in the HDD and have them work together? or are more steps required

If i am going to do a fresh install, do i create a backup using my current HDD to do it? or is a Windows 7 installation disk required?
When i fresh install, should both drives be in the computer?

quite unsure, perhaps it'd be better if someone could just outline the steps ><

Easiest way to do this is to backup to an external drive, if available. If not, just leave data on your "storage drive". Just manually do it.

Take all drives off but the SSD. So you won't get them mixed up. Load Windows 7 on it. After restart, reconnect the other drive(s), and reformat them if need be, otherwise just use them as is.

That help? It's the safest way.

so do i need a windows 7 64 disk or can i create a backup using existing files, then use it to "restore" the ssd?

My example was from a full install, not copying drives, patonb.

You still need to swap drives from what i've read.. The primary drive has to be in disk 0.

OP..

You only need the backup software to make a img, and their boot usb to put it on the ssd.

I swapped my os from my hdd to my ssd, and kept my restore partiton on the hdd, just like factory setup, doing it that way.

On laptops you can't just unplug remember, and hes got, like mine, dual hd bays. The common sense thing is just drop the ssd into the empty bay and go.
But you need to swap the two..

What do you mean, patonb? I've always known to just put it in place of the existing HDD.

When you install Windows, you normally want to only have the SSD in to not be confused of the other drive. Or if Windows detects it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom