The $10,000 Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is still really no advantage to them vs multiple conventional drives in RAID and there's always the whole Intel vs OCZ quality thing.
There is a serious advantage. First of all RAID is a pain in the ass, second of all you don't need to setup 2 drives to get the performance of one AND you have no additional cables cluttering your rig. If he has 15k, let him buy the best. Not setup 2 medicore to get the performance of the best.
Quality is moot for a setup like this. You go for the best, the fastest, and typically the most expensive. If a drive goes bad, OCZ will replace it.

Personally, I would NEVER run a RAID 0 array. Seems totally pointless to me. You lose 1 drive, and BOOM, array is toast. It has twice (at least) the chance of failure as just a single drive. The only thing I would consider, if I had the funds, would be a RAID 5 or 6 array.

Personally, I would NEVER run a RAID 0 array. Seems totally pointless to me. You lose 1 drive, and BOOM, array is toast. It has twice (at least) the chance of failure as just a single drive. The only thing I would consider, if I had the funds, would be a RAID 5 or 6 array.

The Revodrives are basically two drives in RAID 0 plus a RAID controller stuck in a single package so you really aren't avoiding it by going with them. When you combine that with OCZ's terrible track record for SSD quality you are basically playing Russian roulette with your data and paying a premium to do it.

Personally I would use the slightly slower Intel 510's or Samsung 830's in RAID 10 if I was in his position so you could get maximum performance while still having some sort of fault tolerance. You could do that with Intel 520's as well but they aren't quite as proven as the 510 or 830.

There is a serious advantage. First of all RAID is a pain in the ass, second of all you don't need to setup 2 drives to get the performance of one AND you have no additional cables cluttering your rig. If he has 15k, let him buy the best. Not setup 2 medicore to get the performance of the best.
Quality is moot for a setup like this. You go for the best, the fastest, and typically the most expensive. If a drive goes bad, OCZ will replace it.

Inferior quality is even less acceptable at a higher price. Besides it's not like the Revodrives are the best out there anyways, FusionIO has some absurdly fast enterprise quality PCIE drives if you are willing to pay for that kind of product.

PERSONALLY, if you are going to be spending this much on JUST a PC, sped a little bit of money, and get your house (or whatever) wired for internet. I wired my whole home with Ethernet and Coax, each room having a wall panel with 3 Ethernet and 1 Coax jacks. Each ethernet jack is operational at gigabit speeds (except I have 1 jack dedicated for phone, which can be changed to data in about 3 seconds by connecting it to the gigabit switch.) I then have a NAS (Network Attached Storage) device in my LAN rack which connects to the gigabit switch, and has 4TB of capacity. See my sig for a link to the home wiring thread, and the details of my NAS box. The benefits of using this over a USB storage setup, is that I have media (pictures, videos, music) on the NAS which is accessable from my PS3, laptop, 2 different desktops, and my SONY TV in an 'on demand' fashion, and it doesn't require a PC to be powered on all the time to 'share' access to the device. Just saying...

I live in an apartment so I can't update it. But it was built within the last 3 years and I can see the Comcast hub from my desk if that makes a difference with speed.

Anyway, I'm getting a lot of responses so it's hard to keep track. I'm not a huge techie, just an amateur with deep pockets, so some of it's a little over my head. So yes I'm sure some of what I've said and will say is going to seem dumb but remember, that's why I'm here.

What I gather is that I can spend less on both the mobo and the CPU because it won't make much of a difference. I was looking at the new ivy bridge cpu's but I don't know how much better they'll be. Does anyone have any specific recommendations for mobo's, cpu's, and ram combos?

And I'd like to keep the three screens, which takes up a considerable portion of my budget. Can you use multiple screens like that in 3D? As for my hard drives, I'd like to have one SSD and I was thinking about doing RAID between two 1TB hard drives. Does any of this make sense? lol

For further info, I'm using the computer for gaming and music production and installing this all into a standing desk.

Thanks for the help

^cause thats what everyone gets

I have 3 desktops, and 2 laptops in my house, ATM. All of them are running 7 Pro/Ultimate.

I'm going to be using Windows 8 when it comes out although I may go for linux

Why would you spend 10k+ on a computer, and put Linux on it? :p I mean, it's fine as a second OS, but why wouldn't you go for Windows as the main?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom