New Build Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely positive. I figured that was the scenario as well. I spent an hour going over each and every single little BIOS option there was available, nothing for quick boot. The ONLY thing available which affects booting, is the option to have a boot password, and the option to display the fullscreen logo, or POST info.

Here was my question and response from Gigabyte. (I didn't feel like flashing the BOIS with each one they had available to see if one of them had Quickboot in it....)

Question - 1210580
Sent : 4/16/2012 12:31
Question : Currently running F9F BIOS on this motherboard, POST time is VERY long. Memory is detected quickly, but takes a while for drive detection. Does the F9J BETA Bios, or ANY of the versions of BIOS for this motherboard have a 'QUICK BOOT' mode, where hardware checks are skipped? The boot time from power on to windows login is over 45 seconds. I have a laptop that does it in 25 seconds, and that ALSO does NOT have a quick boot feature. The POST on the laptop checking the same amount of ram, and same OCZ Agility 3 SSD's takes 20 seconds less than this desktop machine. Please help!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Model Name : GA-X38-DQ6(rev. 1.0)
--------------------------
M/B Rev : 1.0
BIOS Ver : F9F
Serial No. :
Purchase Dealer :
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
VGA Brand : ATi Model : HD4870
CPU Brand : Intel Model : Q9550 Speed : 2.83 Ghz
Operation System : SP :
Memory Brand : Crucial Type : DDRII
Memory Size : 4096 MB Speed :
Power Supply : 700 W

OCZ Agility 3 SSD 60 Gig

Answer : Dear Customer,

Post time is normal as it will need time to initialize all hardware, there are no QuickBoot available on this board

Well, the boot time certainly sucks, but that's not a big deal. Currently not worth it to upgrade to Sandy Bridge from my Q9550, so I will just have to suck it up for another couple years.

I'm gonna say wrong. I upgraded from an i5 750 at 4ghz and I run this 2500k stock and it's quicker. It is worth it performance wise, but maybe not so much wallet wise lol.

Right, sorry. What I meant, is that the investment in a new motherboard, new memory, and a new CPU isn't worth the investiment for the speed difference between the Q9550 and an i5 or i7.

BOOM!!! The order for my brothers rig has been placed. Everything but the CPU is good to go. I will go pick that up on Monday or Tuesday.

Well, all the parts arrived here, and are sitting on my coffee table, but I'm afraid I'm just too tired to start this build tonight. I have a few weeks to get this up and running, will probably start this weekend, or Monday (since that is my Pseudo Sunday).

View attachment 5241

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 33
Hahahaha, I just thought of that.... The CPU has been sitting on my desk upstairs since Monday, and the case is sitting by the front door. I was too tired at the time to realize either of them were missing.

I ended up getting an i5 2500k from Fry's for $194 and change, after they did a price match with Microcenter. The only issue was that it took like 45 minutes for the guy to get it done. I would have been better off taking the 15 minute trip out of my way to get the same price at Microcenter, and saving the time. Oh well. At least my daughter wasn't being fussy, or I would have just walked out on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom