heavy multitasking + high speed internet + great resilience/reliability = ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHORTshifters

Beta member
Hello

Searching the internet for the best suitable laptop for quit some time now and still haven't figured it out... Please help, I'm clueless when it comes to the more advanced tech stuff, but I do have a clear vision on what I'm looking for!

1- high speed/quality (wireless) internet connection >>> +/- 10 windows open at the same time for research, blogging, website building, cloud computing, mail, social media, ...

2- high speed/qualtiy multitasking >>> at least 5 programs should be able to run simultaneously without slowing down too much >>> ALL open source, NO heavy software, for ex. google chrome + picasa + winamp/vlc + openoffice, adobe reader/pdf creator, +/- daily virus scan, ...

3- HIGH reliability & resilience, LOW vulnerability & overheating, BEST warranty & service >>> used +/- 12h/day, 7d/week + I travel a lot (the lighter the better) so as shockproof as possible & suitable for different climates + I see this as a longterm investment of +/- 4 years

4- looks/design/brand don't really matter BUT >>> min. 15 inch + anti-glare/matte screen + as light & compact as possible without affecting high performance/internet

5- optimal battery life without affecting performance or making the laptop too heavy or expensive

6- normal audio/video/graphic performance >>> lots of music, NO GAMES, just the occasional (online) movie + HDMI + VGA + webcam with microphone

7- other stuff like bluetooth + USB 3.0 + DVD RW + security lock + SD card reader

In a nutshell:
BIG on multi-tasking, internet & resilience - NO games or high quality video

All tips, tricks, suggestions more than welcome, thanks!

1. All laptops have about the same wireless strength.

2. That should be easy for any laptop to do, as lomg as you have a good CPU and plenty of RAM.

3. Every laptop has a problem with heating, but it depends upon how often you use it.

4. This would depend on your budget.

5. With the newer batteries, it puts battery performance in a small size.

6. Easy to come by.

7 Most laptops now come standard with this.

What is your budget? I think a Lenovo will work perfect for you. :)

thanks for the tip!

1- what about LAN? difference in speed there?
2- what's a good CPU & enough RAM for multitasking?
3- I use it A LOT & heared some brands have the reputation of overheating very easily so I would like to rule them out
4- price doesn't really matter as long as the performance & quality is great but I don't want to pay for something I don't need or I can get cheaper + I don't want to pay much more only to have a light weight or compact version >> optimal price/quality/performance over design & mobility
5-7 ok

hope this helps... helping me... :)

As far as networking on a laptop, you will find that it comes down to more of the router in use or the place you are connecting. There isnt a difference in speed, as Wireless N standards are just that, standard. All laptops will come with the same ability in this manner. Doesnt matter the laptop but the network you are connecting to. If you are at a hotel and there isnt a good connection in the room you are in, there is nothing that the laptop can do to make the speed faster. You will have to change rooms to get closer to the connection to get better speeds.

The LAN will be the same way. It will work as fast as the connection you are connected to. All laptops that I have seen come with the 10/100 network adapter that is used in just about every PC out there. So connection via a wire will get you the same speeds as a desktop. I have seen a few laptops with the 10/100/1000 network adapter, but there are few GB networks out there, none with a hotel or resort. Those are mostly big businesses so that isnt a concern.

As far as CPU and RAM, you should look for a Core i5 and around 6GB of RAM. It is a better processor. The Core i7 is the best, but you said you didnt want something that got to hot, the Core i7 will. So the Core i5 is a better choice, but it will still get hot. It would be recommended to have available a laptop cooling pad.

Using it a lot and overheating are just as much hand in hand as the type of CPU in use with the laptop. You will find that a Core i7, no matter what brand it is in, will get hot. That is just a problem with using such a powerful CPU in such an enclosed space such as a laptop. There isnt much room to cool these new CPU's so the machines will get hot. That isnt a problem with the brand itself, but more a problem of trying to cool such a powerful CPU.

I know the Samsung brand of laptops have the Matte screen you are looking for. I have seen them on a few others, but not as many have it as the Samsung lineup.

Walmart.com: Samsung Silver 15.6" NP305V5A-A0CUS Laptop PC with AMD Quad-Core A6-3410MX Accelerated Processor and Windows 7 Home Premium: Computers
Walmart.com: Samsung Silver 14" NP700Z3A-S03US Laptop PC with Intel Core i5-2450M Processor and Windows 7 Home Premium: Computers
Walmart.com: Samsung Black 15.6" Series 2 NP200A5B-A03US Laptop PC with Intel Core i5-2450M Processor and Windows 7 Professional: Computers

These are the 3 that I have seen and operated, for a short period of time. Working at Walmart I dont have the luxery of messing with the latops for to long. But I do have to install the Walmart software and do recoveries on the laptops. While they are a bit pricey, they will fill your needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom