Another RAM question, sry...

What would you rather spend your money on?

• Flashy, nice sports car (or fixing up your not so sporty car)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • An awesome pimpin' gaming rig

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
No. Your motherboard cannot work at faster rates than it was designed for.

And you're gonna pay more for faster RAM. Just buy PC3200 RAM and save yourself the headache (and save us from the forum post).

the PC4400 would simply clock down to PC3200 speeds and you'd then have to raise the FSB to get it to it's normal speeds, BUT I believe currently you have to have an AMD64 motherboard or basically a top line new motherboard that'll support that faster RAM because I believe some of it is also using DDR2 memory

wouldnt pc4400 be able to support better latency because whenever you overclock you raise latency so if you effectively underclock your RAM you should be able to get better latencies(just my idea), plus wouldnt it be best for overclocking also?

I am planning on a AMD64 board, but I am still waiting for Nforce 4 SLI, and that doesn't support DDR2 :(
I was looking at the higher speeds because I want the higher GB p/second, but will I ever need the additional transfer from 3.2 GB p/sec to 4.4 GB p/sec?
Thanks Nubius
Yan

Nubius said:
the PC4400 would simply clock down to PC3200 speeds and you'd then have to raise the FSB to get it to it's normal speeds, BUT I believe currently you have to have an AMD64 motherboard or basically a top line new motherboard that'll support that faster RAM because I believe some of it is also using DDR2 memory

wouldnt pc4400 be able to support better latency because whenever you overclock you raise latency so if you effectively underclock your RAM you should be able to get better latencies(just my idea), plus wouldnt it be best for overclocking also?
Nope. If only it worked that way, but no. Your mobo can only handle certain speeds and latencies. You can still try putting the chips in, and they may work, but your comp will default to the lower speed and latencies, and you'll probably see faults and speed problems because the chips are running in ways they aren't designed to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom