RAM upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

prosthotoothist

Baseband Member
I have an ASUS p6T deluxe mobo with 24 GB of ram and I need to have more RAM to load very large virtual pipe organ files that exceed 24 GB. Does anyone know if I can use the currently available 8 GB RAM strips in this mobo? All I have ever seen talked (on forums) about is that the maximum is 24 GB. I think that was related to the maximum available at the time (4 GB strips). Any information will be greatly appreciated, especially if it is from someone who has successfully used more than 24GB.

Regards,

Tom

If you have 24GB of RAM, you don't need any more...

I failed to explain why there is a need for more RAM. The program that runs the virtual pipe organ is called Hauptwerk and when an organ is loaded into the program, all of the sampled sound files are loaded into RAM. I have a sampled organ software program that exceeds 30 GB if it is loaded at its highest resolution which is 24 bit. Also, as most pipe organs are in buildings with long reverberation times, the size of each sample file may be several MBs. Since there are thousands of pipes in these large organs, a lot of RAM is needed just to load them. Also, there is a need to have several GB of RAM left to run Windows, the Hauptwerk program, and any sequencing program such as Sonar X1.

I hope that this information will make it more obvious why I am asking my original question. If I can increase the amount of RAM without having to replace the mobo, then it is certainly a more practical way to move forward.

Thanks,

Tom

I found Asus saying it is limited to 24GB (Asus P6T Delux) .. but however DDR3 must supports up to 288GB ... it is hard to know because Ram over 24Gb is unstable so any manufacturers involved in building this M.B. (bios , chipset .. etc) AND CPU manufacturer (AMD or Intel) may did not support more than 24Gb for that reason ... some one said :
The limitation is due to signal deterioration. You can increase the limit by slowing the memory latency (decreasing the clock speed or 2T timing should do it), by increasing the initial signal strength (MCH/IMC related), by reducing the interference (mobo related) or by buffering the data between modules (by using buffered memory). The last of which, while slowing performance removes the theoretical limitations due to signal deterioration.
BUT ... The Asus P6T was supporting up to 12 GB of ram .. After updating the bios it had support up to 24 Gb .. So updating the bios may do what you need .. but you must try to know ... :)

Sorry for the new post But I have a bad connection and hardly can edit my post ..

There is a confirmation :

Specs :

Windows 7 pro 64bit
Asus P6T Deluxe SAS v1
i7 920 @ 3.6ghz
6x8gb CL9-9-9-24 DDR3-1333 triple channel (six 8gb modules G.SKILL RipjawsX F3-10666CL95-8gbxl)
ATI 5870 1gb
Revodrive3 X2 240gb
3 hdd's total 2tb
e-mu 1820 sound card

3501bm10.jpg

Usually the reason most of the time they put a limit because at the time of the board being made there was no such thing as 8GB sticks. In this case you are very lucky that with an update you can use larger sticks as most boards don't know how to address the extra space per module.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom