Is there really a need for 16gb RAM in a gaming system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jomoreb

Baseband Member
Just wanted to know how everyone else feels...Is there really any real reason to go over 8GB of Memory in a gaming system?

I got 6, never had a problem gaming/running apps in the background.

you have to be careful though depending on your CPU, without the right amount of memory and the speed, you can bottleneck yourself pretty well.

Though i think most people just go with "pack the fastest you can, and as much as you can" ... it doesnt cost too much more !

This picture illustrates -
View attachment 5238

Attachments

• Ram_bottleneck.jpg
    Ram_bottleneck.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 711
you have to be careful though depending on your CPU, without the right amount of memory and the speed, you can bottleneck yourself pretty well.

Though i think most people just go with "pack the fastest you can, and as much as you can" ... it doesnt cost too much more !

There is always going to be a bottleneck in a computer. If it's not one thing, it's the other. Sure, you can try to minimize that bottleneck all you want, but it will still be there. As far as picking the fastest and as much as you can goes, I don't know who would do that. I used to run 8gb @1866, and then returned to 8gb @1600, and saw no difference whatsoever, and that is with an OC'd 2600k. I only have 16gb now because I got a really good deal on it. I never use more than 6gb of it at a time, and I do some pretty intense stuff. So to the OP, no you don't need insanely fast RAM, or more than 8gb of it if you're just using the computer for gaming. Just out of curiosity, what are the specs of your PC, or planned PC?

Today's machines (2011/12) have either 6GB or 8GB standard. (Ones you can buy) Most people here suggest the same. When I upgraded my machine I bought 8GB and never had a problem. The ONLY reason I have 16GB now, is a SUPER good deal on another 8GB. :p (Thanks, b1gapl) But depending on what you do, even 4GB would work. Also you will need a 64-bit OS in order to utilize more than 3.25 GB

But I will say that when I played Skyrim with full specs on 8GB, sometimes (not often) I had slight lag. Mostly choppy screens, so I would just stop running for half a second and let it buffer again.

edit: NINJA'D! LOL

But I will say that when I played Skyrim with full specs on 8GB, sometimes (not often) I had slight lag. Mostly choppy screens, so I would just stop running for half a second and let it buffer again.

edit: NINJA'D! LOL

What res? I never had an issue with it when I had 8gb. Then again, I had 2 GPU's with 2gb each. :sweat:

1900x1280. I was playing around and maxed out all the specs. My 570 is good, but not THAT good. so I tweaked a little bit and found the sweet spot. Sorry, I should have mentioned that first.

Oh I'm good now. No lag issues, but I have one set of Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600, and one set of Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (Both 2x4GB)

Ah. I have 1 set of XMS3 1600, 4*4gb. I like it, although they give me trouble when trying to set them @1600, they always want to revert to 1333. Takes a few tries, but I usually get it :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom