Need help looking for the right laptop for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir Jet

Beta member
Hi. I'm new here and was sort of hoping I could get some help.

So, I was reading some articles on what specs should I consider before purchasing a laptop. I have listed down the specs I would prefer for a laptop but I don't know what Laptops have these specs. Hopefully someone can help me out and provide me a list of Laptops that fit these specs as well as provide their opinions on what should I buy.

So here are the specs that I prefer:

• 13"-15" Screen
  • As Thin and Light as possible.
  • High native resolution.
  • Dual-core or Quad-core processors preffered.
  • Optical Drive that is able to burn DVDs and CDs Required
  • At least 4GB-8GB of RAM.
  • High capacity SSD is preferred but 320GB or larger 7200rpm HDD is ok.
  • Good battery life. At least 6-7 hours. More is better.
  • Needs to be able to connect to Wi-Fi, and an Ethernet connection is welcome.
  • Bluetooth is a nice addition as well, but not entirely necessary
  • At least 2-3 USB slots (I don't think more will be available on a 13"-15" laptop but more is better I suppose)
  • SD Card slot would be appreciated. But won't be a dealbreaker.

Other details:
The laptop needs to be able to handle Video editing and Photo editing.
Hopefully has good visuals and sound. Hopefully display angles are good and color provides a close "what you see is what it is" type thing.
Might be used to play a few games here and there but it won't be it's main purpose. (Would be something as simple as Plants Vs. Zombies to possibly Left4Dead2 or The Sims 3)
Will also be used for basic office functions mainly creating documents and possibly presentations.
Other than that should be able to be used for web browsing and Skype calls.

So yeah, hopefully someone could help me out with this and also provide opinions on which would be a better buy and why. Thanks in advance.
Maybe your top 3-5 laptops you recommend would be great.

I would love detailed explanations on as to why I should buy the laptop you would suggest/recommend.

What is your budget?

I thin an ASUS Zenbook would work great for you, if you can afford it.

Most of what you said comes standard with laptops nowadays.

You can always upgrade the RAM and your HDD. That's not a problem.

Money isn't exactly an issue, as long as the performance is there I'd be willing to pay the price.

Alright I'll check it out. Could you suggest any other Laptops as well?

EDIT:
Checked it out.. does this have an Optical Drive that can burn CDs and DVDs?

It looks really classy and appears that performance is top notch, although the lack of an Optical Drive is quite a deal-breaker for me. I like the class and performance it provides, are there any others similar to it?

Oh alright then.

Oh, If that is a possible alternative that would be great.
I tried looking around a bit myself, what would be your opinion on a Macbook Pro, or a Macbook Air (I found out there is an external Optical drive for it as well)

I don't mess with Macs, sorry. You know, your games might not work in OSX.

If you go Mac, you don't need a "Apple DVD Burner".

I can't say what is in your retail stores...

Oh alright then.

Oh, If that is a possible alternative that would be great.
I tried looking around a bit myself, what would be your opinion on a Macbook Pro, or a Macbook Air (I found out there is an external Optical drive for it as well)

Apple MacBook Pro - Core i7 2.4 GHz - 4 GB Ram

VS

ASUS UX31E DH72 Laptop Computer With 133 LED Backlit Screen 2nd Gen Intel Core i7 2677M Processor by Office Depot

Between the 2 notebooks hardware wise, get the zenbook, sure you may have a 15% lower clockspeed, but you should be able to bump it up abit with very little hassle.
The macbook pro, looks good, but if you are not use to the apple os environment why even bother to look there now ?

Depending on what you need the laptop to do, if your not into making music for a business or needy on adobe graphic designing leave the mac book alone. :)

Anything else windows 7 cannot do right at all but apple may do better for you, get it, choice is up to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom