New system build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Use ncix newegg and or directcanada to get the best deals. Newegg blows as it costs a kidney to ship.

I usually buy from ncix, but use the pricematching and shopbot.ca to save a ton of money.

Where are you anyway? prov/city?

Combos aree NOT DIY Kits. Combos are, you buy a gpu and motherbhoard and save 2 bucks more, than each alone.

Thanks for the advice.

Montréal/Canada

Roark
Re: New system build
Rough parts list:

CPU: $225 Intel i5 2500K
MB: $116 Asus P8Z68-V LX
RAM: $37 8GB Mushkin DDR3 1600
ODD: $18 Sony Optiarc 24x DVD/CD Burner
HDD: $80 500GB WD Caviar Blue
GPU: $230 Sapphire HD 6950 2GB
PSU: $70 Corsair CX600 V2
Case: $90 Corsair Carbide 300R

Total = $976

This is without doing any price comparison, so you may be able to find these parts cheaper through another retailer.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by patonb
Combos aree NOT DIY Kits.

The combo was in reference to Nukem's post, which was a DIY kit.​

Thank you very much for that build.

Without trying ny price matching, Roaks build is $1050 pluis shipping n tax.

That totals to 1260 all said and done and good insurance.

Fast price matching I get drops it to 966.14 plus tax shippng insurance.

That totals to 1260 all said and done and good insurance.

Fast price matching I get drops it to 966.14 plus tax shippng insurance.

What's that fast price matching... Is it a thing on the web?

Why the i5-2500k over the i5-2500... I don't really know how to overclock.
What's the advantages?

I'll give you the example that fits me. I'm an avid overclocker and literally overclock anything I can. In feb I had an i5 750 that I kept at 4 or 4.2ghz 24/7. I purchased a computer off of CL which had this CPU/board/RAM setup in it because I wanted a faster CPU for a specific game. Well, BF3 took over our lives so now I run stock. When things start to get CPU bound for me again I have that option to overclock and make my CPU last even longer. I had my previous rig which was also a midrange (mainstream) chip for almost 3 years straight. I would still be using it if I didn't spot the sweet deal online. I never once ran that CPU stock because at stock it was slightly too slow and bottlenecked my then new GTX 465.

Overclocking these chips are really simple. It's as easy as changing 2 things in your bios and watching your temps and stability. When you want to learn, you can always come ask us in the OC sub forum.

Always forget you guys have to pay an arm and leg in shipping up there.

mich.begin said:
Why the i5-2500k over the i5-2500... I don't really know how to overclock.
What's the advantages?
1) It is better to have the ability to overclock if you change your mind then not.
2) If you decide to sell it in a few years to help finance an upgrade an unlocked CPU is going to be worth more.

Always forget you guys have to pay an arm and leg in shipping up there.

1) It is better to have the ability to overclock if you change your mind then not.
2) If you decide to sell it in a few years to help finance an upgrade an unlocked CPU is going to be worth more.
Shortened version of my unnecessary explanation lol.

I'm satisfied with everything. But before I start searching and ordering... I have one question left.
The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

If i take the Dell example again (at 999.95$) which is cheaper than this configuration(Plus you get a screen (which I don't have)). A i7-2600 processor. 12 gigs of ram, etc etc... I can add a little bit of money for a graphic card and it'd be (maybe) better than this configuration, but at a cheaper price.

So why build a custom computer for less?
Or am I getting more with this config? ( I'm really clueless about mobos and different ram brands, etc..)

If someone can answer this, I will go right away with the build.

The GPU in that Dell sucks and the 2600 can't be overclocked. Motherboards in prebuilt OEM systems can't usually be overclocked, nor are they really all that great. The PSU's in those systems also suck hard and would need to be replace for anything more powerful than what comes in the box.

First, its not cheaper as paton showed. I just shopped Newegg since they're easy.
Paton got it down to $966, and it may be possible to go lower.

Second, you want this for gaming (though not intense gaming, granted)
For reference, on OCN's graphic performance list the HD6450 in the Dell is #104, while the HD6950 I suggested is #21 (list).

If you need a monitor/keyboard/mouse that can be figured into the build and it will likely still come out better optimized than the Dell.
We can't read your mind though, you need to tell us what you're going to need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom