Ah, okay. I got it now.

+3.3V: 24A
+5V: 32A
+12V1: 21A
+12V2: 22A
-12V: 0.6A
+5Vsb: 2A

How's that? Does that work well for me?

I would say its time for a new power supply.

Its suggested you have a 600-650W power supply, and a quality 650W will have ~53-54A on the 12V rails.
So if yours is a 700W at 43A its not giving the kick that is expected of it.
Although a dead giveaway should have been your comment on the first page about it not even having the proper connectors.

My suggestions:
$80 Antec EarthWatts 650W (-$20 promo code till 4/22)
$90 OCZ ZT 650W Modular ($20 mail in rebate + $20 gift card will 4/30)
Modular means that the cables you aren't using can be removed so they don't clutter up your case.

About the power supply, it comes with cables, right? Could I use my old cables on the new supply? I assume even with the one I have, I'm putting all of this stuff at risk with use? Would getting a new one help with the heat issue I'm noticing? Should I get one that's stronger, or are the ones you suggested a good sweet spot for what I have?

I'm worried with a new supply that I have no disconnect all of my old cables, and I might connect wrong things and what have you. D:

You will have to disconnect wires from your devices. HDD, mobo 24-pin, optical, etc.

A new power supply will come prewired.

Oh gosh. Is it hard to set up all of the new wires? Like, does it come with detailed instructions?

About the power supply, it comes with cables, right? Could I use my old cables on the new supply? I assume even with the one I have, I'm putting all of this stuff at risk with use? Would getting a new one help with the heat issue I'm noticing? Should I get one that's stronger, or are the ones you suggested a good sweet spot for what I have?

I'm worried with a new supply that I have no disconnect all of my old cables, and I might connect wrong things and what have you. D:
Yes they come with new cables, and no you won't be able to use your old cables.
What I did last time I switched power supplies is left all the cables connected but detached the supply from the case, then attached the new supply and swapped out the cables one by one.

There probably wasn't much risk with your old setup since it wasn't as demanding on the power supply.
But when you added the GTX 580 it suddenly was being asked for a lot more.
For the setup you have a stronger power supply isn't needed, unless you plan on doing more upgrades that will draw more power.

As to the heat, the GTX 580 is going to produce more heat, thats all there is to it.
However, when they build the cooling for the card they design it so it can handle it.

As long as the CPU temps (top box) don't go much over 70°C, and the GPU temps (bottom box) don't go much over 90°C, then you're fine.
hwmonitor.png

So wait..I actually don't need a new power supply for the setup I have now? All I wanted to boost was the GPU at present. If my power can handle my current stuff without risking any particular damage, I think I'm good for now.

If my power can handle my current stuff without risking any particular damage, I think I'm good for now.
If you have already installed it and its working then great.

Is it possible that you won't have any problems? Sure.
And if you're willing to roll those dice then more power to you.
I personally would not trust a 700W power supply that has barely more amperage than a decent 600W.

I bought another power supply, but over the weekend I've noticed I've been getting random BSODs. I haven't changed ANYTHING beyond updating the GPU drivers, and it randomly happens. The messages are all random, too: one involves the NTFS table, and another involved the USB drivers...but after rebooting a bit, everything's fine.

What I wanted to ask here was is there a chance I'm getting BSODs due to the power supply? I've tried no games on it since I ordered the new PSU, but I have left it plugged in. Perhaps it's not able to handle it so I get a BSOD message?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom