A novice thinking of upgrading his PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you took the old card out then you don't have to do anything else. (Unless you want to go through the pain of drive cleaner).
Unless the game is constantly loading things there is no way having an SSD can improve your actual frame rate. Only thing an SSD can do for you in games is the actual load of the program will be faster and loading of levels.

Probably won't handle a 580? How am I to test if it can? I know when I was running Witcher 2 on max (minus Ubersampling) it ran at 60 fps, but the fans got pretty loud and the back case got pretty hot.

It's been pretty hot this week (it was 70 degrees today with notable humidity) so I'm unsure if my system is caving to the power, or it's the mix of heat + humidity that are adding factors. I had no visual issues or anything of the sort. My PC would get this loud with the old card, but I never felt up the case to feel if it gets this warm.

Well, what's going to happen then? If that doesn't cover a 580, what does the entail? Crashes and overheating? I don't know how to actually verify if they're my 12v rails.

I think I copied everything that was on the side of the box, though. Is there a program to check what it outputs on my computer? I downloaded Speedfan and all of my settings seem to be checked as good except for the third fan, which is at 79 C. Looking into it with HWMonitor, the reason that's so high is that's the temperature of the motherboard, which doesn't have a fan over it.

I can check again later, but I want to know if there's an external way to verify, as I'm a little short on time to tamper with a lot of stuff for the rest of the week.

You want the numbers in the area I highlighted. You got the rails (+12V1/+12V2), just need the current below those.
Or a model number would work too, simple Google search will bring up the specs.
psulabel.png

If you over-tax your power supply then you will get crashes and overheating.
If it goes on for too long you may eventually fry the power supply and, depending on the quality, it may take other components out when it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom