Hard drive enclosures for 4" SATA HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

eagles1028

Beta member
Does anyone know if hard drive enclosures exist for 4" SATA HDD. I'm trying to use the internal hard drive of a burned out netbook as external backup storage. Unfortunately the Seagate Momentus 5400.5 HDD are not the standard 3.5", but are just shy of 4". I've called / visited local electronics stores and searched the web but I can not find a hard drive enclosure of 4" anywhere. I'm calling Seagate tomorrow, but maybe someone here might know?

Also, does anyone here have an idea as to if the hard drive will also be broken, considering the motherboard of this netbook burned out from the user accidentally inserting an inappropriate charger (one meant for a camera)?

Can't you just attach the HDD internally to a desktop? Laptop HDDs has the same connections as a desktop drives.

Presumably I could, but I no longer own a desktop, just two laptops. Right now, I am thinking maybe I can find a hard drive enclosure listed for 3.5" but with sufficient internal clearance to accomodate the 4". But that'd be a lot of trial and error, with many returns and likely no return on investment. My best bet might be a docking station, but then where do I store the drive to protect it from dust and the like?

Can't you get a 5.25" enclosure? It will allow for the space. Won't be secure, but if you just just stuff some foam in there or something.

You do realize that 3.5" refers to the platter size and not the size of the drive itself, right? The drive needs to be larger to accommodate the 3.5" platters spinning inside. Seagate would be crazy to deviate from the established dimensions for drives since it would severely limit where they could be used.

You do realize that 3.5" refers to the platter size and not the size of the drive itself, right? The drive needs to be larger to accommodate the 3.5" platters spinning inside. Seagate would be crazy to deviate from the established dimensions for drives since it would severely limit where they could be used.

Ha ha, laughing at myself because no, I did not realize that! Thank you so much! Upon measuring the platter diameter, it appears to be the same as typical netbook size 2.5". Thanks to everybody on the thread for contributing. You people are truly perceptive, as I called Seagate, tech shops, hard drive enclosure manufacturers and none of their reps could sense the problem or make much of a suggestion.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom