Testing power jack works

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadairmanuk

Beta member
Hello everyone. Just a quick question? I have solders a new power jack onto my laptops mother board as the other was faulty. Before I put everything back together is there a quick way to test it works? If I plug in will I see lights etc. I just don't want to spend ages putting it back together and it not work.

Ben

No I have basically got the board out of the laptop on its own and pluged in the power. No hard drive nothing just the board. I was hoping to see a little light on to say it was taking power. Do I need to have the fan , hdd and other things attached?

Ben

Right looks like I have a problem with the jack. Just a bit of history , its been playing up a while I have had to hold the charger at different angles to get it to charge ect ect but it was getting worse and worse in the end I was having to hold it in against the jack. So I stripped it down took off the old jack and soldered in another. When the battery is in place it boots up, but with the power charger connected nothing no lights for anything. I have wiggled the charger and jack just to check for a dodgy connection. So what have I done? Could I have held the soldering iron on too long and fried the board? What's the next step. Bin lol ?

I may just do that but its now all working again!!!!!!!!!!! I just dropped a little more solder on one of the pins and that did the trick.. Thanks for the help.

Ben

Something to remember, just because a solder joint is on top of a PCB, doesn't mean that is the actual connection, motherboards have several dozen layers of PCB, some in the range of 64+ layers, that jack could easily connect to a CENTER layer and be harder to solder into place where it gets a connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom