Software allowing me to control my fan speed on a 64 bit windows 7 on an HP4420s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason9922

Solid State Member
Are there any programs that will let me run my fan speed when I want (IK8FANGUI does not work, even with 64 bit driver) on my 64 bit Windows 7 Hp 4420s?? Speedset doesn't work because it doesn't really allow you to adjust the fan, not on my laptop anyways. Even if I play around with Speedset there is no way to get it to work the way it's advertised. If wearing the fan out would be a factor I don't care about this because I have torn this laptop apart complete and know it in an out so replacing a fan once or twice a year would be better then having a BBQ on my lap. The vents are on the side so you'd think it would vent great and run cool but it runs way hotter then my Dell Inspiron 6000. My Dell Inspiron 6000 although has IK8FANGUI running on high at all times and a laptop cooler underneath running all the time making the Dell never getting hotter then room temperature.

Does anyone have any experience with "Readyboost" working or making a difference?

HP 4420s XT940UT
500GB HDD 8GB ram (4GB SD card Readyboost)
2.6 GHZ I3 Intel Core processor
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit w/ Windows XP image

Dell Inspiron 6000
320GB HDD 2GB ram
1.6 GHZ Intel processor
Windows XP Pro SP3
:stare:

Does anyone have any experience with "Readyboost" working or making a difference?

HP 4420s XT940UT
500GB HDD 8GB ram (4GB SD card Readyboost)
2.6 GHZ I3 Intel Core processor
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit w/ Windows XP image

Dell Inspiron 6000
320GB HDD 2GB ram
1.6 GHZ Intel processor
Windows XP Pro SP3
:stare:

As for the fan thing, I'm not too sure. As for ReadyBoost, if you're using it on a machine with REALLY low resources (ie 512mb RAM), it won't be very noticeable. On a system with a fast HDD, a good amount of RAM, and large page files, it won't make a big difference. On the HP you have, it won't make a big difference. On that Dell though, it MIGHT. I know ReadyBoost isn't available on XP, but there are other ways to do it, such as this:

How to use a USB Flash Drive as RAM in Windows XP - YouTube

I tried to find a good video/walk through and it was pretty impossible. This one seems pretty good though. Remember, it won't help much, but it's a start if you're stuck with the 1gb RAM in that Dell. This won't help your HP, nor will ReadyBoost.

@TJextreme- I have used that USB thing with XP. It didn't make a difference at all. I kinda was figuring that it would make some kind of difference on Windows 7 because they made a special set up for it (readyboost).
@Mindovermatter- Yeah, I tried speedfan and it doesn't work for my HP. I seen a video on how to use speedfan but my chipset doesn't appear in the section where it would on other PC's.
@Patonb- Well IK8FANGUI that I have in my Dell laptop works awesome. I leave the fan on high all the time and it never even gets warm. I'd like to have my HP run like this. Heat = wear and tear on Laptop. F*** THAT! lol

I <3 I8kfangui, best software EVER!!!

It is VERY difficult to get the software to work in a 64bit environment, took me around a WEEK to get it to work on my Vostro 1500 with Win7 64bit. To get it to run, you NEED to have the 64bit test driver, and force windows to ALWAYS boot into a test environment. But, your HP laptop must have a similar controller to Dell laptops. The beauty is, it works for most any Dell laptop that has a fan that CAN be accessed via a controller built into the laptop, either via the BIOS, or on the driver level. Great software, just hasn't been updated in ages.

If you can't get the I8kfangui to work on the HP, and SpeedFan doesn't detect the fan properly, then your only other option seems to be a cooling pad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom