Formatting / deleting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Copper

Baseband Member
Hello there.

Is it true that simply formatting a hard drive WILL NOT completely delete all your files from the hard drive ?

If not, then what is the correct command ?

Cheers
Copper.

As far as i know formatting will delete everything on the drive, if for some reason it doesnt or you want to be sure the best option is to delete the primary partition, create a new one then reformat the drive. Thats one way to be sure there is nothing on the drive.

True. Formatting only deletes references to files.
I don't know of any command. Maybe format /z. Not sure though.

I've heard of programs that will write all 1s or all 0s over all of the data of the hard drive. I'm not sure what it is or where to find it, though. Also, you're very right about formatting not deleting data permanentely, most file recovery software can recover data that has been formatted.

Maybe this: format x: /u

Specifies an unconditional format of a disk. Unconditional formatting destroys all existing data on a disk and prevents you from later "unformatting" the disk. You should use /u if you have received read and write errors during use of a disk. For information about unformatting a disk, see the unformat command.

Sorry, I was wrong about the /z extension. /z Enables you to choose a custom cluster size.

You may try the /u command, though I am not sure if it is the same as overwriting data multiple times.

If you want to make sure nobody can recover your files, use a program like KillDisk.

Hello again.

Thanks for the rapid responses !!! quick or what !!

It was not that important, i was just returning a faulty HDD for a replacement, and i have some personal details on it.

Thanks for your replies though, much appreciated.

Copper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom