A little advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAKings_Fan

Solid State Member
I just got done building a computer using Newegg. I will list its components if it helps anyone give a little input on the situation.

Middle of the road case.

GIGABYTE GA-Z68m-D2H LGA 1155 Intel z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX Intel- Motherboard.

HD 500G|SAMSUNG HD502HJ/ST500DM005- Hard drive

MEM 4Gx2|GSKILL F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL- RAM

VGA EVGA|01G-P3-1561-AR GTX560 1G R- Graphics Card

CPU INTEL|CORE I5 2400 3.1G 6M R - CPU

Obviously a power supply ,CD-ROM, and the Fans.

My question is I have everything installed. Computer turned on and I did some verifying in the BIOS that everything seems to working correctly.
I went to instal the OS Windows 7 and at the early stages of the installation Windows asked me to provide them with a driver for the hard drive so it could download the OS. Well I could not find a driver for my hard drive anywhere, so I call Seagate and they said that the hard drive does not come with a driver I need to provide windows with a driver for my SATA Chipset on my motherboard. Well I tried that and it did not work. So I called windows and they said Seagate is full of it that the Hard drive should have the necessary drives to be "Plug play" ready or provide drivers online. Any help on this would help greatly! I am still a novice in computers, The reason I am building the computer is to further my knowledge.

1st thing is, you mention you bought a Samsung drive, but yet you called Seagate. That makes no sense to me.
2nd, with this system, they are right as it should all be plug and play. My guess is, something isn't hooked up right.
3rd, this is in the wrong sub-forum. This should be under Hardware Troubleshooting.

Go in the bios or simply watch the post statistics to make sure the drive is plugged in and being recognized. If that doesn't work, make sure the drive is plugged in to one of the white slots and it is spinning up (getting power). You can do this by simply putting your hand on the drive and you can feel the vibrations if it is spinning up.

Edit: In the bios make sure the SATA ports aren't set for RAID.

I was confused on the Samsung/Seagate part also. But the hard drive is actually called Samsung by Seagate on newegg. After some research I found out Seagate bought Samsungs hard drive business.
Yeah sorry I realized that I posted this in the wrong sub-forum. I am new to this site.
Thanks for the advice! I will try it out. It seems to me that the problem might be the hard drive is DOA dead on arrival maybe? It could very well be I have something plugged in wrong. Thanks for your help

It is possible it could be but lets go through the rest first. If the main brand is Samsung then it would be a Samsung drive. Kinda like how when Seagate bought out Maxtor. The drive was still a Maxtor until they did away with the name for good.

Yeah exactly! Okay yeah I will try out what you recommended and get back you on the results thanks again for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom