USB dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

nightreaper

Solid State Member
USB dilemma -- SOLVED

This is in regards to an ASUS N61J series computer, Windows 7 [if that helps anything] with 3 USB ports [2 2.0s and a 3.0]

Yesterday, I had the problem of both of my 2.0 USB ports not working - I would plug an assortment of things into the ports and nothing would show up, including in the 'devices' display. The 3.0 port, however, was running like normal and working will all of the devices which didn't work in the 2.0 ports.

I turned the computer off over-night, and when I booted it up today, both of the 2.0 ports were working. Hoo...rah. Only problem is, however, that the 3.0 port no longer functions in much the same way as the 2.0 ports didn't the day before.

For clarity - 2.0 ports weren't working yesterday, now they are ; 3.0 port WAS working yesterday, and now it isn't.

Judging by the fact that they weren't working originally and now are, I would have thought that the problem wouldn't be to do with hardware...but I'm not sure. Does anyone know of people with the same problem, and how they might have fixed it? Many thanks for your time.

Did you install the USB drivers from ASUS and/or the chipset drivers? I think this is a driver issue, not hardware.

Whichever one came with the computer when I bought it....which I would assume to be the ASUS drivers? Does that mean I should try and source the drivers online and download new ones?

It could also be a conflict between the USB host controllers, open up Device Manager and make sure there's no errors or conflicts being reported, and also that the ports are indeed listed as being installed and working properly.

Thanks so much to both of ye ; I did some looking in the program files, and I [after installing a freshly downloaded version of the NEC USB 3.0 driver] think that the problem might have been that something happened to the last driver that made it disappear....there was no driver.

So the problem seems to be solved. Thanks again. Kudos to both of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom