Laptop overheating issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

noxarcana23

Solid State Member
Hey guys, I have realized that my laptop has been running hot for a while now. Now that I am getting back into playing some games on it, I downloaded CPUID to see how hot it is actually getting. The game I am playing is a free MMORPG called Vindictus and I have all the graphic settings for the game on minimum.

The laptop that I have is the Asus M70v - Newegg.com - ASUS M70 Series M70Vm-X1 NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo T9400(2.53GHz) 17.0" Wide UXGA 4GB Memory 320GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GS

The CPU maxed at 69 degrees C
The GPU maxed out at 85 degrees C.. which is 185F

I have already cleaned out the fans and heat sinks. And I have ordered new thermal paste so I can apply it to the CPU and GPU. Is there anything else that I can do to make this laptop run a little bit cooler?

http://www.batterystyle.com/asus-m70vm-fan-p-504222.html

Edit : This laptop in the past year has also made a lot of noise. The noise I am pretty sure is one of the fans hitting against something else, and it gets pretty loud. I found this online, would it be worth a try when I have the money? It is for the CPU, but getting as much hot air out of the laptop might help cool down other parts?

The CPU and GPU usually share the same fan and a lot of times the same heatsink. 85C @ full load in a laptop for the GPU is quiet normal.

idle it is 70C and on load it hit 85C. Once it hit 85C, I quit the game and turned the laptop off. It never got that hot the first few years that I owned it, and I gamed a lot more on it.

Would replacing the thermal paste drop the temperatures a decent amount, or is it a waste of time? I have only bought 2 laptop cooling fans, each of them were 15-25$ and the weight of my laptop kind of crushed the cooler till the fans stopped working ha.

Ever heard of wear and tear? And games are more demanding than 2 years ago.

Thermal paste may help, But only a few degrees at best.

Are these coolers helping it at all? Sounds like you used plastic ones. Go to something more sturdy. As the one I posted.

If the inside of the laptop has not been cleaned in a long time, a layer of dust could have clogged portions of the heatsink. It is also summer, so temps are going up, my laptop at idle in the wiring closet gets to 70C idle at times but that's because the lid is closed and its in a very warm area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom