Audio/Video Editing rig, $650 budget

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
I am still batting around a couple of other motherboards. I may got with a set of 2x8GB RAM if I go with a mobo with only two DIMM slots.

The PSU I picked out now has a $10 off promo.

I will have to post up what I finally end up ordering. The guy is supposed to drop off the cash some time today.

I would ask him what software he is using and check some benchmarks against comparatively priced Nvidia cards.
I'm not terribly well versed in video editing hardware, but from what I've picked up CUDA cores can edge out a slightly faster AMD card for that purpose.
However, this may be dependent on the software used.

I would ask him what software he is using and check some benchmarks against comparatively priced Nvidia cards.
I'm not terribly well versed in video editing hardware, but from what I've picked up CUDA cores can edge out a slightly faster AMD card for that purpose.
However, this may be dependent on the software used.

I thought about that, but I doubt I could get a decent enough card for $60 that would outperform the 6570 in dual graphics mode with the A8-3850.

Here's the order I just made:

Newegg.com - Rosewill R102-P-BK 120mm Fan MicroATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Newegg.com - CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 V2 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-A75M-S2V FM1 AMD A75 (Hudson D3) SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

Newegg.com - AMD A8-3850 Llano 2.9GHz Socket FM1 100W Quad-Core Desktop APU (CPU + GPU) with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD Radeon HD 6550D AD3850WNGXBOX

Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-1333C9D-16GAO

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100324L Radeon HD 6570 2GB DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

Newegg.com - LITE-ON Internal 24x DVD-Writer 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model iHAS324-99

$68.50 in promo codes made a nice difference, plus there are $40 in MIR cards for me to collect. I went ahead and sprung for rush shipping (I miss getting that for free when I had my account with NewEgg).

Total was $572.73 which includes $48.49 tax and $9.83 shipping.

EDIT: I just checked the tracking on this. Everything is coming out of Memphis (the other end of my state) and is on its way to Nashville as of 7:30 (four hours ago from now). I doubt it will show up tomorrow but it will all definitely be here by Friday. I have to work straight through 'til Tuesday but I can still piddle with assembling it before going in to work each day.

Yeah, I am happy. :D

Very nice, NewEgg. I ordered yesterday morning just after 9 and everything shows up on my doorstep about 11:30 this morning. Too bad I was already at work by then, but it will be there when I get home.

I guess having to pay sales tax because NewEgg has a facility in my state isn't always a bad thing . ;)

I slapped this one together last night and then took it to work with me today. I set it up in the build station and installed Win7, drivers, and most of the updates through the day as I had a little time. I was able to get AMD's dual graphics working (I think)... there is very little in the way of concrete instructions out there. AMD VISION Engine Control Center says it is enabled, but I have to hook the monitor up to the APU output instead of the graphics card so I am not overly sure; hooking it up to the graphics card gives me nothing.

Anyway, I am finishing up the updates right now. I will run the Unigine Heaven benchmark once I am done to see how it does.

EDIT: OK, I have run the benchmark on both this system and my own.

Here's my results (Phenom II 965 x4, 8GB RAM, GTX560 Ti):
w1fa01.jpg

The result for this machine is (non-graphic):
FPS: 23.5
Scores: 591
Min FPS: 13.2
Max FPS: 52.2
CPU: AMD A8-3850 APU
GPU AMD Radeon HD 6570 CrossFireX

Both are using the same settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.