My first build, need to know if it is all good for a gaming computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people still prefer a sound card (like me) and will want a reason why not to go with one. Some onboard can be really great but when the CPU is under load can also have some noise (like me) in their sound. Sound cards with good amps can make all the difference.

Some people still prefer a sound card (like me) and will want a reason why not to go with one. Some onboard can be really great but when the CPU is under load can also have some noise (like me) in their sound. Sound cards with good amps can make all the difference.

I use a soundcard, too, but for purely gaming builds it usually isn't needed. And the OP is using a 2500k, it probably won't be under that much load from just gaming, at least not yet.

I use a soundcard, too, but for purely gaming builds it usually isn't needed. And the OP is using a 2500k, it probably won't be under that much load from just gaming, at least not yet.
My 2500k is stock right now and when I play Skyrim or BF3 I hear some nasty sounds. Wish my X-Fi wasn't dead.

No need to have it at 4.5 or 4.9 anymore when my PC stock handles everything with absolutely no lag in site.
It isn't the CPU, it is the board itself. When the VRMs get loaded it puts noise through the amps for the onboard sound. It is the reason why I have used a sound card for so long and the second reason why I want a new board.

Sure, onboard has got a ton better but it makes no difference if your cheap board puts noise through the speakers when your CPU actually has to work.

I have been using onboard soundcards for 2-3 years and I find them fine. I am not a complete audiophile and still get great sound quality. I'm not sure how they would truly sound from a speaker system as I do not own speakers at all. I listen to all my music through astro a40's and I believe the sound quality is top notch. Unless he wants crystal clear HD amazing sound that he will be using quality speakers with then I agree getting a soundcard, but for gaming with a headset, as long as its a quality headset like tritton's or astros he is fine.

Good point, but the motherboard the OP listed is far from a low quality board.
Can happen with any quality motherboard unless the card itself is by itself like the old SupremeFX. My DFI Lanparty was the best you could buy in its day AND the onboard has its own daughter board but you guessed it, noise. My old NF2 Ultra Shuttle board is crystal clear and I paid 50 bucks for it 0_0

I have been using onboard soundcards for 2-3 years and I find them fine. I am not a complete audiophile and still get great sound quality. I'm not sure how they would truly sound from a speaker system as I do not own speakers at all. I listen to all my music through astro a40's and I believe the sound quality is top notch. Unless he wants crystal clear HD amazing sound that he will be using quality speakers with then I agree getting a soundcard, but for gaming with a headset, as long as its a quality headset like tritton's or astros he is fine.
It's not so much quality, but options and the amps as well. I got some X12s and they sound great on anything BUT my onboard sound. If I switch to HDMI out through my second screen the noise goes away because I'm avoiding the onboard sound. I get a hit on quality but NO noise.....I deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom